Cant get Venn diagram to agree with Demorgan's Law

In summary, Demorgan's law can be used to calculate the probability of failure of a communications link with multiple nodes, but the application is incorrect because the Venn diagram does not add up to 1.
FrankJ777
I was trying to solve a problem about calculating the probability of failures of a communications link with several nodes, and figured I need to use Demorgan's law since it would involve non mutually exclusive events. So I tried to go back to the basics to make sure I understand the axioms of probability and prove to my self that this is correct using Venn diagrams, but I can't make the numbers come out right trying to apply Demorgan's Law. Here is the example:

P(A) = .3
P(B) = .2

P(A∪B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A∩B)
P(A∪B) = .3 + .2 - .05 = .45

But if I try to apply Demorgans's I don't get what I expect.

P(A∪B)' = P(A' ∩ B')
P(A∪B)' = (1-P(A))(1-P(B))
P(A∪B)' = (1-.3)(1-.2)
P(A∪B)' = (.7)(.8) = .56

but clearly P(A∪B)' = .55

so where am i going wrong? All parts of my Venn diagram add up to 1. Also I believe that the identity P(A∩B) = P(A)P(B) but this doesn't seem to be correct either as .3 x .2 ≠ .05. So I guess I'm misapplying the use of the Venn diagram but I'm not sure how. Can someone please explain what I'm doing wrong?

2u9pr8n.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
FrankJ777 said:
P(A∪B)' = P(A' ∩ B')
2u9pr8n.jpg

The latter equality only holds if A and B are independent, i.e. if P(A ∩ B) = P(A)P(B) (which implies that also A' and B' are independent), but that is not the case here.

Where does the .05 come from, then ?

FrankJ777 said:
But if I try to apply Demorgans's I don't get what I expect.

P(A∪B)' = P(A' ∩ B')
P(A∪B)' = (1-.3)(1-.2)
P(A∪B)' = (.7)(.8) = .56

Your second step is not correct. [itex]P(A' \cap B')[/itex] is only equal to [itex](1-P(A))(1-P(B))[/itex] if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are mutually exclusive, that is, if [itex]P(A \cap B) = 0[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Your second step is not correct. [itex]P(A' \cap B')[/itex] is only equal to [itex](1-P(A))(1-P(B))[/itex] if [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are mutually exclusive, that is, if [itex]P(A \cap B) = 0[/itex]
Independent, not mutually exclusive. If we change P(A ∩ B) to 0.06, then the formula holds, but A and B are not mutually exclusive.

Erland said:
Independent, not mutually exclusive. If we change P(A ∩ B) to 0.06, then the formula holds, but A and B are not mutually exclusive.

Right, my mistake.

Ok. So can you only use Demorgan's for independent relations? If not I don't see how you can get P(A' ∩ B') if I can't use P(A' ∩ B') = (1 - P(A))(1-P(B)) .

FrankJ777 said:
Ok. So can you only use Demorgan's for independent relations?
No, DeMorgan's laws aren't restricted to independent events.

If not I don't see how you can get P(A' ∩ B') if I can't use P(A' ∩ B') = (1 - P(A))(1-P(B)) .
The diagram can be partitioned into disjoint sets labeled according to whether they are in or not-in each of the named sets. This is like a coordinate system. So the distinct areas of the diagram have "coordinates" (A,B), (A,B'),(A',B), (A'B').

If you want the probability of the set ##A'\cap B'## (which corresponds to (A'B') ) take 1 minus the sum of the probabilities of the other sets in the partition. So ##p(A'\cap B') = 1 - P(A'\cap B) - P(A\cap B') - P(A\cap B)##.

Anyways I started this discussion because I was trying to figure out how to determine the probability of failure or success of a circuit, made of multiple links. Like this:
Node A-------link 1--------Node B---------link 2--------Node C
What is the chance a message getting to Node C from Node A if the chance of an individual link failing is .1?
Now, each link has an equal probability of failing.
Only one link needs to fail for the entire circuit to fail. But because multiple links could fail, their probabilities aren't mutually exclusive, so I can't just add the probabilities of the individual failures.
However since the failure of one link doesn't impact the probability that any other fails, they are independent meaning that the probability the probability of failure of link 1 and link 2 is P(f1 ∩ f2 ) = P(f1)P(f2)

So if i try to determine the probability of success of the circuit, that means both links must not fail, which is equivalent to P(f1 ∪ f2)' = P(f1' ∩ f2')
So the probability of success is:
P(f1 ∪ f2)' = P(f1' ∩ f2')
P(f1 ∪ f2)' = (1-P(f1))(1-P(f2))
P(f1 ∪ f2)' = (1-.1)(1-.1) = .9 x .9
P(f1 ∪ f2)' = . 81

Which agrees with my Venn diagram!
venn_link_failiure.jpg

So I guess the key here was that the link failures are independent of each other and that's why I could use this technique.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Hopefully I'll understand this better with some more practice.

Oops. Correction on the Venn diagram.

venn_link_failiure.jpg

Seems correct.

What is Demorgan's Law?

Demorgan's Law is a mathematical principle that states the negation of a conjunction is equivalent to the disjunction of the negations of the individual statements.

How does Demorgan's Law relate to Venn diagrams?

Venn diagrams are a visual representation of logical statements and sets. Demorgan's Law can be used to simplify and manipulate these statements in Venn diagrams to show the relationship between sets.

Why might a Venn diagram not agree with Demorgan's Law?

There are a few possible reasons for a Venn diagram not agreeing with Demorgan's Law. It could be due to incorrect interpretation or application of the law, errors in the diagram itself, or a misunderstanding of the underlying logic.

What can I do if I can't get my Venn diagram to agree with Demorgan's Law?

If you are having trouble getting your Venn diagram to agree with Demorgan's Law, it may be helpful to double check your understanding and application of the law. You can also try simplifying the statements in the diagram or seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor.

Why is it important for a Venn diagram to agree with Demorgan's Law?

Ensuring that a Venn diagram agrees with Demorgan's Law is important because it demonstrates a correct understanding and application of logical principles. It also allows for the manipulation and simplification of statements, making it easier to analyze and understand relationships between sets.