Cantilever Beam Uniform Mass Natural Freq

In summary, the speaker is having trouble obtaining the expected results when using Staad Pro to verify their dynamics examples. They have correctly applied the equation for natural frequencies of a cantilever beam, but there may be issues with units, moment of inertia, or input values in Staad Pro. They are seeking clarification or correction on their approach.
NeroBlade
Hello

For my dynamics I had been going through some examples and verifying them using Staad Pro. However, I been having issues with some of the examples as some do not show the full detail of calculation description.

The one example been having problem with is where you must calculate the first 3 natural frequencies of the cantilever that's split up into 20 members with a uniform weight of 1.124lb per inch. Using the reference mentioned I assume the equation that is being used is the following:

[itex]\omega_i = 2 * \sqrt{\frac{AEN^2}{ML}} * sin(\frac{(2i - 1) * \pi}{4 N})[\itex]

Assuming
N = 20
L = 80 in
w = 1.124 lb/in
A = 4 in^2
I = 1.33333 in4
g = 386.4 in/sec2
E 30000ksi

M = (1.124/386.4) * 80

According to the example and the staad solution the 3 frequencies are as follows:

f1 = 10.237

f2 = 63.974

f3 = 178.67

Is it possible that you could clarify/correct my approach because I'm still having trouble obtaining these answers.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with using Staad Pro to verify your dynamics examples. It can definitely be frustrating when the calculations do not match up with the expected results.

Based on the information you have provided, it seems like you have correctly applied the equation for the natural frequencies of a cantilever beam. However, there are a few things that could be causing the discrepancy between your calculated frequencies and the ones provided in the example.

Firstly, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent in your calculations. In your equation, you have used inches for length and lb for weight, but then you have used 30000 ksi for the modulus of elasticity. This value is typically given in psi, so you may need to convert it to the same units as the other parameters in your equation.

Additionally, the value for the moment of inertia (I) that you have used is for a solid rectangular cross-section, but the example may be using a different cross-section. Make sure that the moment of inertia you are using matches the cross-section of the cantilever beam in the example.

Lastly, double check your inputs in Staad Pro to ensure they are accurate. Sometimes small errors in input values can lead to large discrepancies in results.

I hope this helps clarify your approach and leads you to the correct results. If you continue to have trouble, don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Best of luck with your dynamics studies!

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at one end and free at the other end. It is commonly used in construction and engineering to create overhanging structures.

2. What is uniform mass?

Uniform mass refers to a situation where the mass of an object is evenly distributed throughout its entire length or surface. In the case of a cantilever beam, this means that the mass is evenly distributed along the length of the beam.

3. What is natural frequency?

Natural frequency is the frequency at which an object or system vibrates when it is disturbed from its resting position. It is dependent on the stiffness and mass of the object or system.

4. How is the natural frequency of a cantilever beam with uniform mass calculated?

The natural frequency of a cantilever beam with uniform mass can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2π * √(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the stiffness of the beam, and m is the mass of the beam.

5. Why is the natural frequency of a cantilever beam with uniform mass important?

The natural frequency of a cantilever beam with uniform mass is important because it determines the behavior and stability of the beam. If the natural frequency is too close to the frequency of external vibrations, it can cause resonance and potentially lead to failure of the beam.