Capacitance after changing plate distances

In summary, the conversation revolved around a problem in a textbook that was poorly explained. The problem involved simplifying a circuit by combining two capacitors in parallel and calculating the total charge before and after squeezing. The individual steps were discussed and confirmed to be correct, but there was some confusion about the wording of the problem and whether it was asking for the increase in charge or the total charge itself. Overall, the participants expressed frustration with the textbook and its unclear explanations.
exitwound
1. Homework Statement , from my crappy textbook

problem.jpg

2. Homework Equations barely explained in my crappy textbook

Q=CV
[itex]C=\epsilon A/d[/itex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution that should be easy but the textbook is crap

Before squeezing:
Simplify the circuit by combining the two capacitors in parallel:

[itex]C_{12}=C_1 + C_2[/itex]
[itex]C_{12}=7x10^-6 + 7x10^-6 = 14x10^-6 F[/itex]

[itex]Q=CV[/itex]
[itex]Q=C_{12}V[/itex]
[itex]Q=(14x10^-6)(24)=3.36x10^-4 C[/itex]

After Squeezing:
[itex]C=\epsilon A/d[/itex]
[itex]2C=\epsilon A/(d/2)[/itex]
[itex]C=(7x10^-6)(2)=14x10^-6 F[/itex]

[itex]C_{12}=14x10^-6 + 7x10^-6 = 21x10^-6 F[/itex]
[itex]Q=(21x10^-6)(24)=5.04x10^-4 C[/itex]

Am I even close?

At this point, I have absolutely no idea what the problem is asking. Did I mention this book is terrible? Aren't both questions asking the exact same thing?? This is ridiculous.

Physics news on Phys.org
The way it is worded it appears as if a.) and b.) are the same question.
Your work looks right. Remember its asking for an increase so subtract before squeezing value from after squeezing value.

That's what I did, but the answer was wrong.

Anyone? Still no go on this one.

Ah Hmmm... b.) could be a trick question... total charge (+ plus -) is of course zero.
But your calculations are correct for what they find. Parallel capacitances add. Halving the separation doubles the capacitance. That's it.

Related to Capacitance after changing plate distances

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

2. How does changing plate distances affect capacitance?

The capacitance of a system is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa.

3. What happens to capacitance when the plate distance is decreased?

If the plate distance is decreased, the capacitance will increase. This means that the system will be able to store more charge for the same applied voltage.

4. How does capacitance after changing plate distances impact the electric field?

The electric field between the plates is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the plate distance decreases, the electric field increases and vice versa.

5. Can changing plate distances affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

Yes, the energy stored in a capacitor is directly proportional to the capacitance and the square of the voltage. This means that changing the plate distance can change the capacitance and therefore affect the energy stored in the capacitor.