Capacitance of a landing plane in a thunderstorm

In summary, the airplane flying through a thundercloud gains a charge of 1 microcoulomb. As it lands, its wings form a parallel plate capacitor with the ground. The capacitance of this system can be found using the equation C=|Q/V|. The potential of the plane can be determined using the equation V=-Ed, where E is determined from Gauss' law. Precautions are taken to avoid this buildup of charge, which can cause dangerous situations for the plane.
sethman737

Homework Statement

An airplane flies through a thundercloud and picks up an excess charge of 1 microcoulomb. When the plane comes into land, its wings form approximately a parallel plate capacitor with the ground. What is the capacitance of this system?
What is the potential of the plane?
Why does this matter and what precautions are taken to avoid this?

Homework Equations

C= |Q/V|
V= -Ed (E being determined from Gauss' law)
I would insert the other equations but I'm just learning how to use this system and don't know how to insert the symbols.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck at these equations because I don't know how to find the area of the wings or the distance between the wings and the ground (no dimensions were given for either). Furthermore I don't know if I even need to use these values at all since I may well be using the wrong equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The area of the wings depends on the plane. Make a reasonable assumption or visit the web and look up plane specs. Your equations look correct, but you will also need the equation that gives the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor.

Related to Capacitance of a landing plane in a thunderstorm

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to a landing plane in a thunderstorm?

Capacitance refers to the ability of an object to store electric charge. In the context of a landing plane in a thunderstorm, capacitance is important because it affects the amount of electrical charge that can build up on the surface of the plane.

2. How does a thunderstorm affect the capacitance of a landing plane?

A thunderstorm can significantly increase the capacitance of a landing plane due to the buildup of electrical charge in the atmosphere. This can create a large difference in charge between the plane and the ground, increasing the risk of a lightning strike.

3. What measures are taken to reduce the risk of lightning strikes on landing planes?

Planes are equipped with various lightning protection systems, such as metal shielding and conductive materials, to help dissipate any electrical charge that builds up during a thunderstorm. They also use weather radar to avoid flying into areas with high electrical activity.

4. How is the capacitance of a landing plane calculated?

The capacitance of a landing plane can be calculated by taking into account its shape, size, and materials. The shape and size of the plane will affect the amount of surface area available for charge to accumulate, while the material will determine its conductivity and ability to dissipate charge.

5. What precautions should be taken when a plane is struck by lightning during landing?

If a plane is struck by lightning during landing, it is important for the pilot to follow proper emergency procedures and report the incident to ground control. The plane may need to be inspected for any damage before it can continue flying. Passengers should also be reassured that planes are designed to withstand lightning strikes and are not at risk of crashing.