Capacitance Q: Connected in Series/Parallel? Charge on Plates?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find out how capacitors connected in parallel will affect the charge on the plates. It states that charges will be on both the surfaces and that increasing the area will increase the capacity. It says that you can use the conservation of charge method to find the initial charge. The resultant capacitor has got 4Q charge on one plate and -2Q charge on the other plate. The size of the plates is twice the original area. The charge distribution should be even at the end. The whole system has got 2Q excess charge.
Saitama

Homework Statement

105qj6a.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any idea on this.
Firstly, how are the capacitors connected? are they in series or parallel?
What happens to the charge on plates of first capacitor when the capacitors are connected in parallel?

Any help is appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The capacitors connected means that both plates of the first one are connected to the plates of the other one.

Note that charges can go from one plate to the other if the plates are connected.

At the end, the connected plates are at the same potential.

ehild

ehild said:
The capacitors connected means that both plates of the first one are connected to the plates of the other one.

Note that charges can go from one plate to the other if the plates are connected.

At the end, the connected plates are at the same potential.

ehild

So that means they are connected in parallel, right?

Here are different charges on both the plates of first capacitor, so i don't understand how the charge will flow, i mean how much charge will the second capacitor gain or lose? :confused:

Assuming the capacitors are equivalent, can you see any difference between them at the end?
You get a single capacitor, with twice as big plates as the original ones.
Find out the charge distribution. Are there charges only on the inside of the capacitor? Or are charges also on the outer surfaces of the plates?

ehild

ehild said:
Assuming the capacitors are equivalent, can you see any difference between them at the end?
You get a single capacitor, with twice as big plates as the original ones.
Find out the charge distribution. Are there charges only on the inside of the capacitor? Or are charges also on the outer surfaces of the plates?

ehild

Charges will be on both the surfaces.
Increasing the area will increase the capacity, but how can i find the charge distribution?

You said that they will at the same potential at the end. So can i use the conservation of charge method? If yes, how will i find the initial charge?

The resultant capacitor has got 4Q charge on one plate and -2Q charge on the other plate. The size of the plates is twice the original area. The charge distribution should be even at the end.
The whole system has got 2Q excess charge. That excess charge distributes evenly on the outer surfaces. The potential difference between the plates is obtained from the charge of the inner surfaces.
ehild

ehild said:
The resultant capacitor has got 4Q charge on one plate and -2Q charge on the other plate. The size of the plates is twice the original area. The charge distribution should be even at the end.
The whole system has got 2Q excess charge. That excess charge distributes evenly on the outer surfaces. The potential difference between the plates is obtained from the charge of the inner surfaces.

ehild

Can we get back to the original situation when the area is not doubled because i am getting confused, please?
So the charge on the outer surfaces of the first capacitor is Q and on the inner surfaces is 3Q and -3Q, am i right?

Pranav-Arora said:
Can we get back to the original situation when the area is not doubled because i am getting confused, please?
So the charge on the outer surfaces of the first capacitor is Q and on the inner surfaces is 3Q and -3Q, am i right?

Yes.

ehild

ehild said:
Yes.

ehild

Thanks! So my next step would be equating final and initial charges?

3Q=CV+CV
(V is the common potential at the end)
From here i get V=3Q/2C.

Is my answer right?

Yes, it is correct.

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, it is correct.

ehild

Thank you once again! :smile:

You are always welcome :smile:

ehild

Related to Capacitance Q: Connected in Series/Parallel? Charge on Plates?

1. What is capacitance and how is it measured?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

2. What does it mean to connect capacitors in series?

Connecting capacitors in series means that the positive terminal of one capacitor is connected to the negative terminal of another capacitor. This creates a single path for the flow of current.

3. How does connecting capacitors in series affect the overall capacitance?

When capacitors are connected in series, the overall capacitance decreases. This is because the effective capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance.

4. What happens when capacitors are connected in parallel?

Connecting capacitors in parallel means that the positive terminals of all capacitors are connected together, as well as the negative terminals. This creates multiple paths for the flow of current.

5. How does connecting capacitors in parallel affect the overall capacitance?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the overall capacitance increases. This is because the effective capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitor's capacitance.