Capacitor Charging/discharging problem

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, when the switch is open, the voltage across the capacitor is -18 and when the switch is closed, the voltage across the capacitor is -8.2 volts.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown below the switch has been opened for a very long time and closes at
t = 0. Calculate the output voltage VO at:
1: t = 0−; 2: t = 0+; 3: t = t1 = 2.7 µs; 4: t → ∞.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6689/caproblem.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

Vc = Vc - Vc(e^(-t/RC) (Charging)

Vc = Vc(e^-t/RC) (Discharging)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the correct answer for questions 1,2 and 4.
-18, -18, and -8.18182

however question 3 is giving me a problem.
I reasoned that when the switch closes the capacitor will begin discharging into the two resistors, and so I used:
Vc = Vc0(e^-t/RC)

With Vc = -18,and R = R1||R2. However the answer i got was incorrect.

I also don't see how R1 is || to R2, but the book's example assumed they were.

The example's solution is to first assume Vc is the voltage across R1, and then say that the voltage at the Vo node is Vc0(e^-t/RC) + Voltage across R2.

Why is this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so I used:
Vc = Vc0(e^-t/RC)

If you use this equation, what is Vc when t = ∞? Is this consistent with your result from part 4?

lewando said:
If you use this equation, what is Vc when t = ∞? Is this consistent with your result from part 4?

I'm still a little sketchy on this kind of stuff, how i got that answer is, i assumed at infinite time the capacitor is fully charged, thus acting as a open circuit, and i could use simple voltage division principle to find voltage drop over the 1k, and that'd be the voltage at Vo.

If i use the discharge formula, what would my V0 be? -18? or the voltage across the 2.4k resistor?

There's Voltage drop over the 2.4k resistor is -9.8181818.

either way assuming an infinite time, it should be 0. using Vc = Vc0(e^-t/RC)

Learnphysics said:
I'm still a little sketchy on this kind of stuff, how i got that answer is, i assumed at infinite time the capacitor is fully charged, thus acting as a open circuit, and i could use simple voltage division principle to find voltage drop over the 1k, and that'd be the voltage at Vo.

Right, at time t = ∞.

If i use the discharge formula, what would my V0 be? -18? or the voltage across the 2.4k resistor?

There's Voltage drop over the 2.4k resistor is -9.8181818.

Which 2.4K resistor?

either way assuming an infinite time, it should be 0. using Vc = Vc0(e^-t/RC)
Right, if you use that formula, which is wrong.

Vo will start at -18 (Vc0) and decay to -8.2 (Vo @ t = ∞), so your equation should support this concept. You need 2 terms: a variable (decaying) term and a constant (final value) term. Come up with one and graph it until you are comfortable with it. Hint: you will have to adjust the "Vc0" coefficient of the variable term to account for the constant term.

BTW, the 2 resistors can be considered parallel because the ideal voltage source has no internal resistance.

Oh right, there is no 2.4k resistor, I mean the voltage drop across the 1.2k.

Ahhh, so they're in parallel i didn't know ideal voltage sources had no internal resistance.. Or i knew it but i hadn't internalized it yet.the constant final term would be -8.2, and the variable decaying term would be -18(e^(-t/RC))

Vo = -18(e^(-t/RC)) -8.2?

So that, at t = infinite, we have -8.2 volts...cool.

and when t = 0(Initial condition) we have -26.2 volts. But that doesn't sound right... it should only be -18 initially.

(-18 + 8.2)(e^(-t/RC)) - 8.2 = Vo?

This looks a little more correct? right?

Right. Evaluate at 2.7 µs and you should be done.

1. What is a capacitor charging/discharging problem?

A capacitor charging/discharging problem refers to the process of storing and releasing electrical energy in a capacitor. When a capacitor is connected to a power source, it charges up and stores electrical energy. When the power source is disconnected, the capacitor discharges and releases the stored energy.

2. How does a capacitor charge and discharge?

A capacitor charges when a power source is connected to it. This causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal of the power source to one plate of the capacitor, while an equal number of electrons leave the other plate and return to the positive terminal of the power source. This creates a potential difference between the plates, and the capacitor is said to be charged. The capacitor discharges when the power source is disconnected, and the stored energy is released as electrons flow from one plate to the other until the potential difference between the plates is equalized.

3. What factors affect the rate of charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The rate of charging and discharging of a capacitor is affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage applied, and the resistance of the circuit. A higher capacitance or voltage will result in a faster charging/discharging rate, while a higher resistance will slow down the process.

4. What is the time constant in a capacitor charging/discharging problem?

The time constant in a capacitor charging/discharging problem is a measure of how quickly a capacitor charges or discharges. It is equal to the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit. A larger time constant indicates a slower charging/discharging process, while a smaller time constant indicates a faster process.

5. How can a capacitor charging/discharging problem be applied in practical applications?

The concept of capacitor charging and discharging is widely used in practical applications, such as in electronic circuits, power supplies, and energy storage devices. Capacitors are also commonly used in cameras, flashlights, and other devices that require a short burst of energy. The ability to control the charging and discharging of a capacitor is crucial in the design and functioning of these devices.