Capacitor Energy and Charge Relationship

In summary, when the charge on a parallel plate capacitor is increased from 3μC to 9μC and the plate separation is increased from 1mm to 3mm, the energy stored in the capacitor changes by a factor of 9. This can be calculated using the equation U = 1/2Q^2/C, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and U is the energy stored. The distance between the plates does affect the capacitance, and a formula connecting the two should be known.
victorializ

Homework Statement

If you increase the charge on a parallel plate capacitor from 3μC to 9μC and increase the plate separation from 1mm to 3mm, the energy stored in the capacitor changes by a factor of...

Homework Equations

U = 1/2QV
or 1/2CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure which equation to even use, I'm not to great when it comes to differentiating between electric field and energy of the capacitor.

I think I should probably use 1/2QV but i don't have a voltage to work with so I'm confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relation between charge Q, Voltage V, and Capacitance C to eliminate the voltage from the expression for the energy.

dauto said:
Use the relation between charge Q, Voltage V, and Capacitance C to eliminate the voltage from the expression for the energy.

so U =1/2 Q^2/C

i'm still not sure how i would find capacitance without using the C=Q/V and not having a voltage?
also does the distance between the plates changing not matter?

The capacitance changes if you change the distance, and you should know a formula that connects the two.

mfb said:
The capacitance changes if you change the distance, and you should know a formula that connects the two.

oh alright i thought that the permitivity of free space had to be used when a dielectric was present only but that works thanks!

Related to Capacitor Energy and Charge Relationship

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge by using two conductive plates separated by an insulating material.

2. How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which allows the capacitor to store energy in the form of an electric charge.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are various types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has different properties and is suitable for different applications.

4. What are some practical uses of capacitors?

Capacitors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones. They are also used in power supply systems, audio equipment, and electronic circuits to store and regulate electrical energy.

5. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the potential difference between the two plates. It is also affected by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the size of the plates and the distance between them.