Capillary Action, Are there structures that aid it?

In summary, the speakers are discussing creating a sculpture that can recreate a phenomenon on a larger scale. The speaker's plan is to 3D print it out of plastic and is wondering if it is possible to get the water to rise "by itself" to a height of 6 ft, which would require very fine capillaries. They also mention that the surface material can be changed with a coating and that small tubes work best for this project.
YeeMachine
Hello,

I'm an art student trying to recreate this phenomenon, but maybe on a larger scale.

I'm trying to create a sculpture that is able to do that. If I can rely on just structure and not worry about materials, that would be great, since my plan is to be able to 3D print it out of plastic.

Was wondering how possible this would be, or if I would have to change materials/designs to get the water to rise "by itself" maybe 6 ft.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two meters is a challenge and would need extremely fine capillaries - probably too fine to print.
The surface material matters, but that can be changed with a coating if necessary.

Is there a structure that would work best?
I'm not too familiar with whatever structure they used in the video.

Small tubes work best.

1. What is capillary action?

Capillary action is the process by which liquids move through narrow spaces, such as small tubes or porous materials, without the assistance of external forces, such as gravity. It is also known as capillarity or wicking.

2. How does capillary action work?

Capillary action is a result of adhesive and cohesive forces between the liquid and the surface of the tube or material. Adhesive forces allow the liquid to stick to the surface, while cohesive forces cause the liquid molecules to stick to each other. This combination of forces allows the liquid to move upwards against the force of gravity.

3. What structures aid capillary action?

Capillary action can be aided by structures such as capillary tubes, which have a very small diameter, and porous materials, such as paper, cloth, and soil. These structures provide a large surface area for the liquid to interact with, increasing the strength of the adhesive and cohesive forces.

4. What are some examples of capillary action in nature?

Capillary action can be seen in plants, where water moves from the roots to the leaves through tiny tubes in the stem. It is also responsible for the movement of groundwater through soil and the ability of insects, such as mosquitoes, to walk on water.

5. How is capillary action used in science and technology?

Capillary action has many practical applications, including in lab techniques such as paper chromatography and blood tests. It is also used in engineering, for example in the design of fuel cells and microfluidic devices. Capillary action is also utilized in everyday objects, such as sponges and paper towels, which are able to absorb liquid due to their capillary structure.