Capture in a 2-body system (not)

In summary, the conversation is about the capture and ejection of bodies, specifically in the context of the sun capturing an object on a hyperbolic trajectory without a third body stealing its energy. The speaker has tried to explain the concept using conservation of energy but is unable to find an article that directly addresses the issue. They suggest solving the equations of motion and using conservation laws to show the impossibility of capture in this situation. However, the other person in the discussion may have issues with basic principles of physics and it may be difficult to have a productive discussion until they are accepted. The speaker expresses their frustration and asks for help in finding a reputable article that explains why hyperbolic orbits cannot spontaneously turn into elliptical orbits.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm having a ... "discussion" on another forum about capture and ejection of bodies.

My opponents believe that, for one example, the sun can capture an object that has entered the SS from outside its g-well (i.e. on a hyperbolic trajectory) - without requiring a third body to steal its energy.

I've tried every angle I can think of, including showing them the conservation of energy, even while being converted from gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy and back again.

Of course I can't find anything online that describes how something can't be done; I can only find examples of how it does happen (involving said third body) - which always leaves room for "ya but"s.

An article would be way better than my own simple assertions. Ideally, I'd like to find a reputable article that describes why hyperbolic orbits don't spontaneously turn into elliptical orbits.(and vice versa). (And of course, heavy of exposition, light on maths).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried just solving the equations of motion? Or given the phase diagram for the radial coordinate?

Showing it using conservation laws really should be all it takes. The concepts, models and calculations are all simple and really do establish that capture in the given situation is just as impossible as other situations that breaks conservation of energy. If the other part in your discussion is not willing to accept this argument, then he must be having issues with some of the assumptions, like the gravitational energy model or the concept or validity of conservation of energy, and perhaps you can identify which and try address this?

In my experience it is rather difficult to have productive discussion about physical concepts with people who seem to be in denial about something very basic like the validity of conservation of energy, so until that principle and its obvious consequences are accepted I tend to stay away from such discussions. Granted, people not trained in this may still claim they know and accept all the basic principles of physics and then still go invent some magical exceptions to these basic principles when it comes to the situation they want to discuss. And this is then where it seems proper to do like you did with your post and call out for a good teacher to please provide some magic words that would undo the other magic. In any case, sorry if all I just said is bleeding obvious and good luck with your discussion :smile:

1. What is capture in a 2-body system?

Capture in a 2-body system refers to the process in which two celestial bodies, such as a planet and its moon, become gravitationally bound to each other. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as tidal forces or collisions.

2. How does capture in a 2-body system differ from orbiting?

Orbiting refers to the motion of one body around another in a specific path, while capture in a 2-body system involves the bodies becoming gravitationally bound to each other and potentially changing their individual trajectories.

3. What factors can affect the likelihood of capture in a 2-body system?

The mass and composition of the bodies, their initial velocities and trajectories, and the presence of other bodies in the system can all influence the likelihood of capture in a 2-body system.

4. Can capture in a 2-body system occur between bodies of vastly different sizes?

Yes, capture in a 2-body system is possible between bodies of different sizes as long as they have sufficient gravitational pull to become bound to each other.

5. How is capture in a 2-body system studied and observed?

Astronomers study and observe capture in 2-body systems using various techniques, such as mathematical modeling, simulations, and observations using telescopes and spacecraft. They also analyze data from past and ongoing missions, such as the Cassini mission to Saturn's moons.