Capturing an RF signal from a remote controller

In summary: Thanks.In summary, Dave is trying to capture the transmitted signal from a remote control drone and store it in memory, retransmit it back to the remote control to take control of the drone. There may be legal issues involved with doing this.
Curt Zerr
Hello!

This is a question that's been on my mind about RC drones for a while now but it's not really something you can just google.

Is it possible to capture a transmitted signal from a remote control (with a sensitive receiver other than the one mounted on the drone) and store it in memory, then retransmit it at a later time to control the drone with that specific remote control protocol that you captured? (whether it be left, right, thrust or whatever. Or even a string of captured protocols) Let's consider that the drone transmitter/receiver is using a DSSS signal in this case. None of that crazy frequency hoping stuff.

Any information would be great!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Curt Zerr said:
Hello!

This is a question that's been on my mind about RC drones for a while now but it's not really something you can just google.

Is it possible to capture a transmitted signal from a remote control (with a sensitive receiver other than the one mounted on the drone) and store it in memory, then retransmit it at a later time to control the drone with that specific remote control protocol that you captured? (whether it be left, right, thrust or whatever. Or even a string of captured protocols) Let's consider that the drone transmitter/receiver is using a DSSS signal in this case. None of that crazy frequency hoping stuff.

Any information would be great!

Thanks
As you learned in your other thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/understanding-an-rf-remote-control.887214/#post-5580413
the protocols for many drones are closed (for security and reliability reasons). Probably most drones use tools to prevent "playback" hacks, although I don't know what percentage do this. Certainly the RF projects I've worked on have playback attack protections, and sometimes encryption is used as well.

What exactly are you trying to do?

berkeman said:
What exactly are you trying to do?

it sounds like he is trying to illegally intercept other people's drone control signals and then take control of that other person's drone
That probably shouldn't be getting discussed hereDave

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Thanks so much for the advice! I've never even heard of SDR radios before. I've been doing no-stop research since you mentioned them. Such an interesting hobby. The project is for school. It's to find a way to stop a drone, whether it be by physical means or something a little more elegant like radio.

Thanks again for all the help.

davenn said:
it sounds like he is trying to illegally intercept other peoples drone control signals and then take control of that other persons drone
That probably shouldn't be getting discussed here
Agreed.

@Curt Zerr -- I have deleted most of the responses in the thread temporarily. Please put me in contact with your instructor so I can discuss the legalities of using RF means to hack into drone flight. Either you or s/he is overlooking some legal issues involved.

1. How does capturing an RF signal from a remote controller work?

Capturing an RF signal from a remote controller involves using a device, such as an RF receiver, to detect and record the radio frequency signals being transmitted from the remote. These signals are then decoded and translated into commands that can be understood by the device being controlled.

2. What equipment is needed to capture an RF signal from a remote controller?

To capture an RF signal from a remote controller, you will need an RF receiver or a device with built-in RF capabilities, such as a computer or smartphone. You may also need a specific software or app to decode and interpret the captured signals.

3. Can any type of remote controller be captured using this method?

In general, any remote controller that uses RF signals to communicate with its intended device can be captured. However, the specific frequency and encoding methods used may vary, so it is important to have the appropriate equipment and knowledge to successfully capture the signal.

4. What are the potential uses for capturing an RF signal from a remote controller?

Capturing an RF signal from a remote controller can be used for a variety of purposes, such as reverse engineering the protocol used by the remote, creating a universal remote or controlling devices remotely, or for security purposes, such as detecting and preventing unauthorized access to electronic devices.

5. Are there any legal considerations when capturing an RF signal from a remote controller?

The legality of capturing an RF signal from a remote controller may vary depending on your location and intended use. In some cases, it may be considered a violation of the manufacturer's intellectual property rights. It is important to research and comply with any laws or regulations that may apply to your specific situation.