RF gurus-A question from a wireless dullard

In summary, the RF guru suggests various options for a small, single-chip transceiver for use in a 500 foot distance with little or no programming needed from either the transmitter or the receiver. Options include Analog Devices and Microchip transceivers, as well as TI transceivers. The RF guru says that even with a transmitter power rating of only 8 dBm, the receiver should be able to receive data with no need for an RF amplifier.
faust9
RF gurus---A question from a wireless dullard

Ok, I need to collect and send data to/from a remote device about 500ft away. I'm looking for a single IC transceiver in a small smt package if possible. I'd like a transceiver that handles the communications with little to no control from either my laptop or the remote device i.e. either end hands 32 bits to the transceiver, something magic happens and the 32 bits appears at the other end. I really don't want to have to write code to control communications from A to B if at all possible. Moreover, I'm looking for something in an ISM band.

I've come across a couple of offerings from TI, Analog devices and Microchip that 'may' fit the bill. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated though.

Anywho, here's the question: If my transmitter has a power rating of 8dBm and my receiver has a receiver sensitivity of about -100dBm will I be able to TRx data back and forth across said 500ft without using an RF amp?

I'm an RF novice. I had a class once--years ago--to meet a requirement and then promptly dropped all of the knowledge in the expectation that I'd never have to fiddle with wireless comms. So, any insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance for any and all support in my time of need.

[edit] The above transmits at 900'ishMHz using FSK modulation and the area between the device and my PC is fairly clear(a couple of small less than 8' tall trailers if any) if that helps.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone? Bueller, Bueller, Bueller. Well, I guess it serves me right. I should have payed more attention in class and retained said information---and text---longer than 14 seconds after the final.

[edit] according to this site: http://huizen.deds.nl/~pa0hoo/helix_wifi/linkbudgetcalc/wlan_budgetcalc.html I should be in the greem even with 0dB antenna gain at both ends. This shouldn't be the case but worse case scenerio...

Anyone out there with an IC recomendation is welcome to respond still.

Last edited:
I have dabbled a bit with RF apps (lower freq), but no expert on your question.

If you do not get many volunteers on our forum, you might try one of the specialized
groups like http://www.rfglobalnet.com/forums/ I see they have a forum on short-range wireless and another on Chips For Wireless Applications

Another possibility is http://www.rfcafe.com/phpBB2/index.php

Another company to check is Macro Linear Corp. They have RF tranceiver ICs for 900MHz FSK. Not sure if they meet all your criteria though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also try contacting one of their apps engineers. Sometime the latency is long but the reply is usually helpful.

Related to RF gurus-A question from a wireless dullard

1. What is an RF guru?

An RF guru is a highly knowledgeable and experienced expert in the field of radio frequency (RF) technology. They specialize in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting wireless communication systems.

2. What qualifications do I need to become an RF guru?

To become an RF guru, you typically need a degree in electrical engineering or a related field, as well as several years of experience working with RF technology. You may also need to obtain specific certifications or licenses depending on your location and industry.

3. What are the key skills required to be a successful RF guru?

Some of the key skills that are essential for an RF guru include a strong understanding of RF principles and concepts, proficiency in using RF testing equipment and software, problem-solving abilities, and excellent communication skills.

4. What is the role of an RF guru in the wireless industry?

An RF guru plays a crucial role in the wireless industry by designing and optimizing wireless networks, troubleshooting issues, and ensuring that systems are performing at their best. They also stay updated on the latest technologies and advancements in the field to provide the best solutions for their clients.

5. Can I consult an RF guru for my wireless project or issue?

Absolutely! RF gurus are often hired as consultants to help with specific projects or to provide guidance and support for wireless issues. They can offer valuable insights and solutions to ensure the success of your wireless endeavors.