Car behaviour on a straight road with a rolling road

• Thread starter DrSelvigsApprentice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Rolling
In summary, the question posed is about the behavior of a car traveling over a spinning roller on a flat road. The physical forces to consider include air resistance, friction, and rolling resistance of the tires. The answer will depend on whether the car is in gear and the speed at which it is traveling. To fully understand the problem, one must have a good grasp of Newton's three laws and the equation F=ma. However, it is important to first think about the situation and visualize it before jumping into formulae.
DrSelvigsApprentice

Homework Statement

An extra-curricular theoretical assignment I have received:

A car is traveling on a completely flat/uniform straight road at a constant velocity on a clear, dry day. 100 meters ahead, underneath the road there is a roller (similar to a rolling-road) which can spin without restriction (and assume without friction). The roller is the same width as the road and is laid perpendicular to the direction of travel so both front wheels will make contact with it at exactly the same time. Only 0.05m of the roller is exposed to the road - the rest is underground. The question is how will the car behave when it drives over the roller and which physical forces need to be considered when determining the behaviour.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking is the car should carry on and the roller will spin. The car may lose a little velocity but I'd be embarassed to submit this as an answer without backing it up. Which physical forces/equations do I need to consider to deliver an answer. Can anyone provide some guidance please?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
As the car moves down the road, what is the forward/backward velocity of the outer edge of the wheel at the point where it hits the road directly below the axle?

phinds said:
As the car moves down the road, what is the forward/backward velocity of the outer edge of the wheel at the point where it hits the road directly below the axle?

Hello Phinds - thanks for the response, trust you're well. I don't have any information about forward/backward velocity as requested. For the sake of modelling, and if easier, can we say the car is traveling at 30km/h?

DrSelvigsApprentice said:
My thinking is the car should carry on and the roller will spin.
Whether the roller spins or not depends on which of three different cases you're considering:
1) The car is in gear with the engine running to keep it moving against air resistance, friction, the rolling resistance of the tires, and everything else that causes a car to coast to a stop when the engine is running.
2) The car is not in gear with the engine running, so is gradually coasting to a stop because of air resistance, friction, the rolling resistance of the tires, and the like.
3) For purposes of this problem we are ignoring all these factors, so the car is coasting along without slowing down even though it is not in gear with the engine running.

That's three cases, but either the roller turns or it doesn't, so the answer will have to be the same for two of them.

Likes DrSelvigsApprentice
Hello Phinds - thanks for the response, trust you're well. I don't have any information about forward/backward velocity as requested. For the sake of modelling, and if easier, can we say the car is traveling at 30km/h?
I wasn't asking if you had any such information, I was asking you to think about it.

I don't have any information about forward/backward velocity as requested
Yes you do, although you may not realize it. Think about the question for a moment - that's why he asked it.

Nugatory said:
That's three cases, but either the roller turns or it doesn't, so the answer will have to be the same for two of them.
Thanks. Without posting lots of back and forth on the forum about this as I have a lot to learn, what would you recommend I delve into to further my knowledge and come out with a strong answer?

Thanks. Without posting lots of back and forth on the forum about this as I have a lot to learn, what would you recommend I delve into to further my knowledge and come out with a strong answer?
You need to understand Newton's three laws and ##F=ma## (which is just the second law in modern form) but that's about it. This problem doesn't involve any arcane physics, it's just a bit harder to visualize how to apply Newton's laws here than if we were sliding a block around on a frictionless surface.

I would suggest that before you worry about formulae and such, THINK about my question and get the answer.

If you can't understand a physical situation it won't do you any good to have formulae since you won't know which to apply.

1. How does the weight of a car affect its behavior on a straight road with a rolling road?

The weight of a car has a significant impact on its behavior on a straight road with a rolling road. A heavier car will have more momentum and will require more force to accelerate or decelerate, making it harder to control. It will also have a longer stopping distance and may experience more rolling resistance.

2. How does the tire pressure of a car affect its behavior on a straight road with a rolling road?

The tire pressure of a car plays a crucial role in its behavior on a straight road with a rolling road. Underinflated tires can cause the car to handle poorly, have decreased stability, and increase the risk of a blowout. Overinflated tires, on the other hand, can reduce traction and make it more challenging to control the car.

3. How do environmental factors, such as wind and road conditions, affect car behavior on a straight road with a rolling road?

Environmental factors, such as wind and road conditions, can significantly impact car behavior on a straight road with a rolling road. Strong winds can affect the aerodynamics of the car, making it harder to maintain a straight path. Poor road conditions, such as wet or icy surfaces, can also reduce traction and make it more challenging to control the car.

4. What role does the suspension system play in car behavior on a straight road with a rolling road?

The suspension system of a car is responsible for maintaining stability, handling, and comfort while driving. On a straight road with a rolling road, a well-functioning suspension system will help keep the car balanced and absorb any bumps or vibrations, making it easier to control the car.

5. How do different types of cars, such as sedans or SUVs, behave differently on a straight road with a rolling road?

Different types of cars, such as sedans or SUVs, can behave differently on a straight road with a rolling road due to their varying weights, tire sizes, and suspension systems. For example, an SUV may have a higher center of gravity, making it more prone to rolling, while a sedan may have better handling and stability due to its lower profile.