Car changing speed around a corner - find tangential and radial accel

In summary, a car changes speed and direction while going around a curve. Its velocity and total acceleration at the halfway point are given. To find the radial and tangential components of the acceleration, use the given angles and trigonometry. The tangential acceleration is in the direction of velocity, while the centripetal acceleration is perpendicular to velocity. Using these angles, the radial and tangential components of the acceleration can be calculated. The radius of the turn can then be found using the formula for radial acceleration.
Phys121VIU

Homework Statement

A car changes speed as it turns from traveling due south to heading due east. When exactly halfway around the curve, the cars velocity is 19m/s at 45° south of east. At this moment, the cars total acceleration is 3.0 m/s2 at 20° north of east.

Calculate the radial and tangential components of the cars acceleration, then calculate the radius of the turn

Homework Equations

Radial acceleration is v2/R

and tangential/centripetal acceleration is Δ|v|/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't use either of these formulas to find either acceleration. Radius isn't given to find radial acceleration, and time isn't given to find tangential accel.

So from there I tried using the given total acceleration: 3.0m/s and 20° with
either the sine or cosine laws to find the acceleration components.

I ended up with some numbers that seemed unlikely (I need to figure out how to post formulas better..) so I am doubting that is how to solve the question.

What i do know is that once I find radial acceleration I can use that formula to find the Radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about finding the angle between your acceleration vector given and the direction of the expected centripetal acceleration vector. Same, what is the angle between the expected tangential acceleration vector and the acceleration vector given?

r0wbrt said:
How about finding the angle between your acceleration vector given and the direction of the expected centripetal acceleration vector. Same, what is the angle between the expected tangential acceleration vector and the acceleration vector given?

How would I find the angle of the expected radial accel vector with just the knowledge of the total accel vector being 20° north of east? Are the tangential accel and radial accel vectors perpendicular to each other? Therefore making it possible to use sin/cosine laws to find the missing angles/magnitudes?

If i use the sine law:

For tangential accel:

3m/s2/sin90° = b/sin70° so b would = 2.597m/s2

And for radial/centripetal accel:

3m/s2/sin90° = c/sin20° so c = 3.064m/s2

But these numbers don't seem right..when i check the numbers my using

a2 = b + c2

i come out with 4.01m/s2 which doesn't = the given total accel...please help!

You're given both the direction of the velocity vector (45° south of east) and the acceleration vector (20° north of east). Use this information to determine the relative angle between velocity and acceleration.

Last edited:
tangential acceleration is in the direction of velocity, so the angle between tangential accel and total accel is 20+45=65 degrees.
centripetal acceleration is perpendicular to velocity and makes 45-20=25 degrees.
so you get 3sin65 and 3sin25 as answers
btw tangential and radial are by definition perpendicular directions.And also check your answer! c=3sin20##\neq##3.024

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's speed as it moves along a curved path. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of a curved path. It is also known as centripetal acceleration and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. Why is it important to find tangential and radial acceleration when a car is changing speed around a corner?

Understanding tangential and radial acceleration can help us determine the forces acting on a car as it turns a corner. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of the car, as well as for optimizing its performance.

4. How do you calculate tangential and radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's linear velocity by the change in time. Radial acceleration can be calculated by dividing the square of the object's speed by the radius of the curved path it is moving along.

5. Can tangential and radial acceleration be negative?

Yes, tangential and radial acceleration can be negative. A negative tangential acceleration indicates that an object is slowing down, while a negative radial acceleration indicates that an object is moving away from the center of the curved path.