Car, gas and total energy calculation

jeanmarc69
Hi,

What I understood about the principle of conservation of energy: Et = Ep + Ec = constant.
For example: Et = 1/2mv^2 + mgh (h = height).

Consider a car moving at speed v.

For example: Et = 1/2mv^2 + E(gas + exhausts). Indeed, I include the exhausts, otherwise with the drop in the quantity of gas necessary to drive the car, there is an imbalance, therefore no conservation.

My question: What would be the algebra for E(gas + exhaust) in the context of Et?

Thank you for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, it's hard for me to decode your post. What are ##E_p## and ##E_c##? What are you trying to calculate? Are you trying to add the chemical potential energy of gasoline into a total energy calculation for a car? If so, the chemical potential energy of the exhaust can be taken as zero. If you have a turbofan driving the car, then I suppose you could include the exit momentum of the exhaust in the energy equations, but otherwise it makes little sense to worry about the exhaust gasses from a car, IMO.

jeanmarc69 said:
My question: What would be the algebra for E(gas + exhaust) in the context of Et?
The air, taken in through the air filter of a car, must be first accelerated to the speed of the car. The energy required would normally appear as part of the aerodynamic drag of the vehicle. The fuel in the tank of the car would appear to be part of the mass of the vehicle.

The nitrogen in the air would be heated before being released as exhaust. The oxygen would be combusted with fuel, to be exhausted as hot H2O and CO2.

The exhaust gasses of piston-engined aircraft were directed backwards to gain a few HP of forward thrust. That 'jet' effect would also be true for cars, but is not as important as it once was in military aircraft.

Likes berkeman
Your math makes little sense to me too, but please note a car moving at constant speed on flat ground is not a situation where energy is conserved: 100% of it is lost.

1. How do I calculate the total energy consumption of my car?

To calculate the total energy consumption of your car, you need to multiply the distance traveled by the fuel efficiency of your car. This will give you the total energy consumed in that journey.

2. How can I calculate the gas mileage of my car?

To calculate the gas mileage of your car, divide the number of miles traveled by the amount of gas consumed. This will give you the number of miles your car can travel per gallon of gas.

3. What is the formula for calculating the energy efficiency of a car?

The formula for calculating the energy efficiency of a car is: Energy Efficiency = Distance Traveled / Energy Consumed. This will give you a measure of how efficiently your car uses energy.

4. How do I convert gas consumption into energy units?

To convert gas consumption into energy units, you can use the formula: Energy = Gasoline Volume x Gasoline Energy Density. Gasoline energy density is typically around 34.2 megajoules per liter.

5. How can I reduce the energy consumption of my car?

To reduce the energy consumption of your car, you can try driving at a steady speed, avoiding rapid acceleration and braking, keeping your tires properly inflated, and maintaining your car regularly. These practices can help improve the energy efficiency of your car.