Car on a hill - reasoning for static friction

In summary, the problem discussed the necessary conditions for a car of mass ##m## to remain stationary on a slope with an incline of ##30## degrees. The normal force, gravitational force, and resistive force due to friction were considered in this analysis. The equation ##\mu_s = \tan(\theta)## was derived, where ##\mu_s## represents the coefficient of static friction and ##\theta## is the angle of incline. It was noted that the maximum value of static friction is equal to the product of the normal force and the coefficient of static friction. Values for ##\mu_s## can range from less than 1 to greater than 1, with values greater than 1 implying a higher critical
gelfand
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Problem :

A car of mass ##m## is parked on a slope.

What does static friction ##\mu_s## have to be for the car not to slide down if
the incline of the hill is ##30## degrees?

For this problem I have the following forces, where the hill is inclined upwards
to the right:

Upwards : normal force of ##mg \cos(\theta)##

Downwards : Force due to gravity of ##mg \cos(\theta)##

Right (so up hill): Resistive Force due to friction ##\mu_s mg \cos(\theta)##

Left (down hill): Force due to gravity : ##mg \sin(\theta)##.

For the car to remain in place I need to have the frictional force to be greater
than the gravitational, if I set these up as

$$
\mu_s mg \cos(\theta) = mg \sin(\theta)
$$

Then reduce to
$$
\mu_s = \tan(\theta)
$$

Where ##\theta = 30## (degrees) , so ##\mu_s = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}##, which is around
##0.58##. I *think* that this is a reasonable coefficient for friction? It's less
than 1, though I've not really got anything to go on there.

I'm not sure what else I could do / say about this problem either. I think that
I've considered all the forces, noted that the maximum that friction could be is
that of the equality ##\mu_2 \cos(\theta) = \sin(\theta)## (I've dropped ##mg##
there...)

Static frictional force can change - whereas the kinetic friction is constant.
However - both coefficients ##\mu_s## and ##\mu_k## are themselves constants, so my
equation to find the coefficient ##\mu_s## is valid.

I've attached sketches of this problem as they were requested in the equation.

One other thing that I'm slightly unsure of is the expression for the force of
friction here.

I know that the force of friction is the normal multiplied by the frictional
coefficient. So in this case I have the normal as ##mg \cos(\theta)##, giving
##\mu_s mg \cos(\theta)## as the force of friction. I was slightly unsure because
it's actually ##\sin(\theta)## which is in the direction of the hill here.

Thanks.

Attachments

• forces.jpg
    forces.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 853
  • system.jpg
    system.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,019
Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis is correct. Note that there is no reason for μs to be less than unity.

On edit: Note that μs FN is the maximum force of static friction before the object starts sliding.

Likes gelfand
kuruman said:
Your analysis is correct. Note that there is no reason for μs to be less than unity.

On edit: Note that μs FN is the maximum force of static friction before the object starts sliding.
Oh ok - i thought that the frictional coefficient was less than one for some reason.

When might I encounter something greater than one?

Thanks

Yes, greater than 1 is not encountered often, but it is not an upper limit for some physical reason. Don't forget that if you place an object on an incline and you gradually increase the angle, sliding occurs at the critical angle θc such that μs = tan(θc). Having μs greater than 1 implies that the critical angle is greater than 45o. Everyday experience has us believe that this is not seen often.

Likes gelfand

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from moving when it is placed on a surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between the surfaces of the object and the surface it is resting on.

2. How does static friction affect a car on a hill?

When a car is on a hill, the force of gravity is trying to make it roll down the hill. However, static friction acts in the opposite direction, preventing the car from sliding down the hill. This is what keeps the car in place and prevents it from moving.

3. What factors affect the amount of static friction on a car on a hill?

The amount of static friction on a car on a hill is affected by the weight of the car, the slope of the hill, and the coefficient of static friction between the car's tires and the surface of the hill. The coefficient of static friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the two surfaces are and how much they resist sliding against each other.

4. Can static friction be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, in some cases, the force of static friction can be greater than the force of gravity. This is what allows objects to stay in place on an inclined surface, despite the force of gravity pulling them downwards. The maximum amount of static friction that can be exerted is equal to the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface that the object is resting on.

5. How can the amount of static friction on a car on a hill be reduced?

The amount of static friction on a car on a hill can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the car, decreasing the slope of the hill, or increasing the coefficient of static friction between the car's tires and the surface of the hill. Reducing the weight of the car is often the most practical solution, as it can be done by removing excess weight or distributing the weight more evenly.