Car-Truck Collision: Initial Common Velocity

In summary, the question asks for the initial common velocity of a car and a truck after an inelastic collision. The two methods used to solve this question were conservation of momentum and graphical representation of vectors, with both methods giving the same correct answer. It is important to consider direction when dealing with momentum as it is a vector quantity.
Mr.somebody

Homework Statement

A car with a mass of 1400 kg is westbound at 50 km/h. It collides at an intersection with a northbound truck having a mass of 2000 kg and traveling at 40 km/h. What is the initial common velocity of the car and truck immediately after the collision if they have an inelastic collision? For this question, a diagram is drawn for you. The mass' stick after colliding[/B]

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

So i tried 2 different methods
m1v1+m2v2=mv* and the other method i used was that i drew a triangle (made vectors) found the hypotenuse (momentum combined) and from there i divided by the mass to get the velocity.
When i did this i got 2 different answers I am really confused which one is correct please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector and so you need to pay attention to the directions .

The best and easiest way to solve this question would be to conserve momentum along north-south direction , and then along east west , and then simply find the net magnitude of velocity .

I cannot understand what exactly you have written , but from what I can tell , method 2 seems to be correct .

Both methods are correct. The second method is just a graphical representation of the first.
But as Qwertywerty said: you can't just add vectors.

Oh, okay thank you soo much guys I get it now :)

1. What is a car-truck collision?

A car-truck collision is a type of vehicular accident where a car and a truck collide with each other.

2. What is initial common velocity?

Initial common velocity refers to the combined velocity of both the car and the truck before the collision occurs.

3. How is initial common velocity calculated?

Initial common velocity can be calculated by adding the individual velocities of the car and the truck.

4. What factors can affect initial common velocity in a car-truck collision?

The initial common velocity in a car-truck collision can be affected by factors such as the speed of both vehicles, the weight and size of the vehicles, road conditions, and the direction of travel.

5. How can the initial common velocity in a car-truck collision be reduced?

The initial common velocity in a car-truck collision can be reduced by practicing safe driving habits, maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, obeying traffic laws, and being aware of potential hazards on the road.