Momentum in a perfectly inelastic collision

In summary: Thank you for the explanation and clearing that up!In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final velocity of two cars stuck together after a collision. The 55 degree angle represents the direction of the final velocity, and using the conservation of momentum equation, it is determined that the initial velocity of the second car can be calculated using the 13.0 m/s value. This explains why the final velocity is 18.566 m/s and not lower as expected.
as2528
Homework Statement
Two automobiles of equal mass approach an intersection. One vehicle is traveling with a velocity of 13.0 m/s toward the east and the other is traveling north with a speed of v2i. Neither driver sees the other. The vehicles collide in the intersection and stick together, leaving parallel skid marks at an angle of 55.0° north of east. The speed limit for both roads is 35 mi/h, and the driver of the northward-moving vehicle claims he was within the speed limit when the collision occurred. Is he telling the truth?
Relevant Equations
arctan(fy/fx)=theta
m1viy+m2v2iy=(m1+m2)vfy
I calculated:arctan(fy/13.0)=55=>fy=18.566 m/s

Then I calculated, using the momentum equation:

m1viy+m2v2iy=(m1+m2)vfy=>

mv2i=2*m*18.566=>v2=37.132 m/s

I thought that because the cars were stuck together, the kinetic energy from the northbound car would be lost. So, the speed would have lowered after the accident. However, the answer is 18.566 m/s. Why do we only have to calculate the arctan? Would the speed not drop after the strike due to the mass being larger since the cars are stuck, and since momentum is conserved, the car would have been traveling at 37.132 m/s before the strike?

Physics news on Phys.org
as2528 said:
I calculated:arctan(fy/13.0)=55=>fy=18.566 m/s
The 55o angle is the direction of the final velocity of the stuck-together cars. So,

##55^o = \arctan\left(\frac{v_{f_y}}{v_{f_x}}\right)##. But you used 13.0 m/s for ##{v_{f_x}}##.

Likes MatinSAR and as2528
TSny said:
The 55o angle is the direction of the final velocity of the stuck-together cars. So,

##55^o = \arctan\left(\frac{v_{f_y}}{v_{f_x}}\right)##. But you used 13.0 m/s for ##{v_{f_x}}##.
Yes I did use the 13.0 m/s. Is that an error? The number calculated from that expression is the answer to the question, which was extremely surprising to me since I believed that the speed of the northbound car will have fallen at that point.

as2528 said:
I did use the 13.0 m/s. Is that an error?
I think you're getting the correct answer without realizing why. Since momentum is conserved, the total momentum vector of the two cars before the collision equals the total momentum vector after the collision. So, if the final momentum of the system is at 55 o, the total initial momentum of the system is also at 55o. So, the initial x and y components of momentum of the system statisfy $$\tan 55^o = \frac{P^{sys}_{i,y}}{P^{sys}_{i,x}}.$$ The x-component of the initial total momentum of the system is due to the first car. The y-component of the initial total momentum of the system is due to the second car. So, $$\tan 55^o = \frac{mv_{2i,y}}{mv_{1i,x}} = \frac{v_{2i,y}}{v_{1i,x}}.$$ So, when looked at this way, you can use the 13.0 m/s for the denominator ##v_{1i,x}##. But note that the numerator is ##v_{2i,y}##, not ##v_{f,y}##. So, this equation will yield the initial velocity of the second car (which is what the question asks for). This is what you calculated even though you thought you were calculating the final y-component of the velocity of the system.

Likes MatinSAR, PeroK and as2528
TSny said:
I think you're getting the correct answer without realizing why. Since momentum is conserved, the total momentum vector of the two cars before the collision equals the total momentum vector after the collision. So, if the final momentum of the system is at 55 o, the total initial momentum of the system is also at 55o. So, the initial x and y components of momentum of the system statisfy $$\tan 55^o = \frac{P^{sys}_{i,y}}{P^{sys}_{i,x}}.$$ The x-component of the initial total momentum of the system is due to the first car. The y-component of the initial total momentum of the system is due to the second car. So, $$\tan 55^o = \frac{mv_{2i,y}}{mv_{1i,x}} = \frac{v_{2i,y}}{v_{1i,x}}.$$ So, when looked at this way, you can use the 13.0 m/s for the denominator ##v_{1i,x}##. But note that the numerator is ##v_{2i,y}##, not ##v_{f,y}##. So, this equation will yield the initial velocity of the second car (which is what the question asks for). This is what you calculated even though you thought you were calculating the final y-component of the velocity of t
TSny said:
I think you're getting the correct answer without realizing why. Since momentum is conserved, the total momentum vector of the two cars before the collision equals the total momentum vector after the collision. So, if the final momentum of the system is at 55 o, the total initial momentum of the system is also at 55o. So, the initial x and y components of momentum of the system statisfy $$\tan 55^o = \frac{P^{sys}_{i,y}}{P^{sys}_{i,x}}.$$ The x-component of the initial total momentum of the system is due to the first car. The y-component of the initial total momentum of the system is due to the second car. So, $$\tan 55^o = \frac{mv_{2i,y}}{mv_{1i,x}} = \frac{v_{2i,y}}{v_{1i,x}}.$$ So, when looked at this way, you can use the 13.0 m/s for the denominator ##v_{1i,x}##. But note that the numerator is ##v_{2i,y}##, not ##v_{f,y}##. So, this equation will yield the initial velocity of the second car (which is what the question asks for). This is what you calculated even though you thought you were calculating the final y-component of the velocity of the system.
Got it, thanks! I didn't realize that I was calculating the initial velocity, not the final.

To make sure you're understanding the problem, I recommend that you also work the problem using your equations given below, which involve the final velocity components.

as2528 said:
Relevant Equations:: arctan(vfy/vfx)=theta [edited to replace fy by vfy and fx by vfx]
m1viy+m2v2iy=(m1+m2)vfy
To use the first equation to obtain vfy, you will first need vfx. (It is not 13.0 m/s). Can you see a way to get vfx?

Likes as2528 and MatinSAR
TSny said:
To make sure you're understanding the problem, I recommend that you also work the problem using your equations given below, which involve the final velocity components.To use the first equation to obtain vfy, you will first need vfx. (It is not 13.0 m/s). Can you see a way to get vfx?
Yes, I used m1vfx+m2v2fx = (m1+m2)vfx
So:
13*m+m*0=(m+m)*vfx
13m=2mvfx
vfx=13/2
vfx=6.5 m/s

Then
arctan(vfy/6.5)=55
vfy=tan(55)*6.5
vfy=9.3 m/s

Likes TSny

1. What is momentum in a perfectly inelastic collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, which is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects involved stick together after colliding, resulting in a decrease in their combined momentum.

2. How is momentum conserved in a perfectly inelastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the combined momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the combined momentum of the objects after the collision.

3. What is the difference between a perfectly inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

In a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects involved stick together after colliding and there is a loss of kinetic energy. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and there is no loss of kinetic energy.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to perfectly inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is 0, indicating that there is no rebound or loss of kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of perfectly inelastic collisions?

Some examples of perfectly inelastic collisions include a car crashing into a wall, a baseball sticking to a catcher's glove, or a bullet hitting a target and getting embedded in it. In all of these cases, the objects involved stick together after colliding and there is a loss of kinetic energy.