Carbon dating from activity of sample

In summary: The half-life of 14C is about 5,700 years. This means that if there are 0.12 Bq of 14C per gram of carbon then the object is approximately 5,700 years old.
div4200

Homework Statement

A certain artifact is found to have a carbon-14 activity of 0.12 Bq per gram of carbon. What is the age of the object?

Homework Equations

A = A(initial) * (1/2)^(t/h)

where

A = current amount
A(initial) = initial amount
t = time
h = half-life (aka half-time)

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem gives you the activity, 0.12 Bq. I was thinking that if I could look up the activity of a standard sample of carbon then I could compare it to this given value to find the ratio A/(A(initial)) of carbon-14 that had decayed. I could then use the above formula to find the time. However I can't seem to find the standard activity anywhere. Am I looking at this wrong? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know how much C-14 there is in one gram of carbon. Wikipedia suggests 600 atoms per mole, but in reality this quantity changes over time, and scientists have to use calibration tables to determine a sample's actual age.

ideasrule said:
You need to know how much C-14 there is in one gram of carbon. Wikipedia suggests 600 atoms per mole, but in reality this quantity changes over time, and scientists have to use calibration tables to determine a sample's actual age.

That is true but I presume the OP is only required for the moment to get an reasonably good approximate date.

The point is and the principle is: You can derive the age of a sample in the way indicated by the OP if you know the half-life of 14C, the 14C now, which he does, and at the time when it was fixed in the sample.

What was it when fixed? Assume it is what it is now. The 14C level in the atmosphere is appropriately constant. It is in a steady state between being created by cosmic rays etc. (in upper atmosphere and then mixed with world CO2 within a year or two) and its radioactive decay.

Then as a refinement this atmospheric level has not been exactly constant. It has varied with varying cosmic ray intensity. But by extensive systematic studies of tree rings and other growth indicators the original levels over the last 20,000 years have been constructed. That is what ideasrule means by calibration. These variations can enable the age of a homogeneous sample to be fixed to within 5 years during periods when it was varying rapidly, 50 years in other periods. However only professional archaeologists are concerned with such refinements.

What is carbon dating?

Carbon dating is a scientific method used to determine the age of an object by measuring the amount of carbon-14 it contains. Carbon-14 is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is present in all living things and decays at a constant rate over time.

How does carbon dating work?

Carbon dating works by measuring the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12 in a sample. When an organism is alive, it takes in carbon-14 from the environment through photosynthesis or consumption of other organisms. When it dies, it stops taking in carbon-14 and the existing carbon-14 begins to decay. By measuring the amount of carbon-14 left in a sample, scientists can calculate how long it has been since the organism died.

What types of samples can be used for carbon dating?

Carbon dating can be applied to organic materials such as wood, bone, and plant remains. It can also be used to date materials that were once living, such as shells or animal teeth. However, it is not reliable for dating objects that are more than 50,000 years old as the amount of carbon-14 becomes too small to accurately measure.

What are the limitations of carbon dating?

Carbon dating is not a perfect method and there are several limitations to consider. The most significant limitation is that it can only be used to date organic materials, so it is not useful for dating rocks or other inorganic objects. Additionally, the accuracy of carbon dating decreases for objects that are older than 50,000 years. Other factors such as contamination and sample size can also affect the accuracy of carbon dating results.

How is the age of a sample determined using carbon dating?

The age of a sample is determined by comparing the ratio of carbon-14 to carbon-12 in the sample to the ratio in the atmosphere at the time the sample was alive. This is done using a calibration curve that takes into account fluctuations in the amount of carbon-14 in the atmosphere over time. By finding where the measured ratio falls on the curve, scientists can determine the approximate age of the sample.