Carbon ions in Tandem Accelerator

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a tandem accelerator and the calculations required for a negatively charged carbon ion to reach the argon chamber and pass through the accelerator. The conversation also mentions a dipole magnet used to separate different carbon isotopes and the use of mass spectrometers to determine the differences in mass between isotopes. The question also includes a request for help in understanding the concept and equations needed to solve the problem.
Dreggovich
Gold Member
Hi all I'm new to this forum, there seem to be quite some knowledge here. I hope someone can help shed some light on this. I took this exam about a week ago and I had no idea on how to solve this question, and I haven't been able to figure this one out since.

Homework Statement

In a tandem accelerator a negatively charged carbon ion is accelerated towards the positive potential (+3MV). In the middle of the accelerator there is a volume with Argon gas in which the carbon ion looses electrons and leaves with +3 charge. A similar potential difference on the other side of the argon chamber with the positive plate closest to the chamber on both sides. (I hope this is understandable).

a) Calculate the velocity of the negative ion when it reaches the argon chamber, also calculate the speed at which it leaves it leaves the accelerator (passing both acceleration zones). Do this calculation for both carbon 12 and 14.

b) The accelerator is followed by a magnet to separate the different carbon isotopes. The magnet is a dipole-magnet with the field strength of 1 Tesla orthogonal to the carbon ions path. What is the path radius for the two isotopes?

c) The mass spectrometer uses the different masses of the isotopes, why do the isotopes have different mass?

Homework Equations

I am at a loss here I'm sure I need to use the rest mass from the tables and I would be surprised if I'm not meant to use p=\gamma m_0 v and E_{tot}^2=(pc^2)+(mc^2)^2 for question a.
I'm obviously missing something.

For the second question I'm haven't gotten anywhere. I can't find anything remotely similar in the lecture notes. And the third one must be as simple as the extra neutrons in carbon 14.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im sorry I haven't gotten anywhere with this even though I've been trying for almost a week and I have never felt this dumb I was supposed to do this and 5 other questions of the same caliber in 5 hours and I have not been able to figure this one out in maybe 13 hours of trying with lecture notes and the internet at my disposal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try a non-relativistic approach first, then check if the velocity is small enough compared to c ?

Working in MeV is quite comfortable in this case: a charge of one e accelerated over 3 MV picks up 3 MeV of kinetic energy etc etc.

Last edited:

1. What is a Tandem Accelerator?

A Tandem Accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses a series of charged plates to repeatedly accelerate particles to high speeds. It is commonly used in scientific research to study the properties and behavior of particles.

2. How are Carbon ions accelerated in a Tandem Accelerator?

Carbon ions are accelerated in a Tandem Accelerator through a process called electrostatic acceleration. This involves using high voltage to accelerate the ions through a series of charged plates, with each plate providing an additional boost in speed.

3. What is the purpose of studying Carbon ions in a Tandem Accelerator?

Studying Carbon ions in a Tandem Accelerator allows scientists to better understand the properties and behavior of these ions. This can lead to advancements in fields such as nuclear physics, material science, and medical research.

4. What are some potential applications of Carbon ions accelerated in a Tandem Accelerator?

Some potential applications of Carbon ions accelerated in a Tandem Accelerator include cancer treatment through Carbon ion therapy, creating new materials with unique properties, and studying the effects of Carbon ions on biological systems.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with handling Carbon ions in a Tandem Accelerator?

Yes, there are safety concerns associated with handling Carbon ions in a Tandem Accelerator. These include exposure to high voltage, ionizing radiation, and potential hazards associated with the use of radioactive materials. Strict safety protocols and procedures are in place to minimize these risks.