Carbureted Engines: Altitude Effects Explained

• I
  • Thread starter Walt Puryear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Venturi
In summary, a carbureted engine runs richer with altitude due to the decrease in air density and oxygen percentage at higher altitudes. This is because the vacuum created by the car's intake manifold will cause the fuel to flow at the same rate regardless of altitude, leading to a rich burning environment. To adjust for this, the fuel rate must be calibrated relative to the airflow caused by the intake manifold's vacuum. This can be done by changing the needle valves at full throttle and idle conditions. Additionally, the end of the fuel nozzle extending into high velocity air flow can further decrease the pressure and draw more fuel, resulting in a richer mixture.
Walt Puryear
I’ve been trying to understand why a carbureted engine runs richer with altitude. I understand there is not as much power since less dense air results less mass charge and that oxygen percentage is lower at higher altitudes.

Since a venturi’s drop in pressure is given generally by the simplified formula p1 – p2 = s/2 (v22 - v12) it would seem the less dense (s) air would result is less pressure drop and proportionally less fuel drawn.

Am I using the wrong formula? Is there a commensurate increase in velocity of the air due to it’s lighter weight resulting in a higher differential? Does the air/fuel ratio really not change that much and it’s just oxygen/fuel ratio?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Walt

Physics news on Phys.org
Walt Puryear said:
Does the air/fuel ratio really not change that much and it’s just oxygen/fuel ratio?

From my understanding, the airflow remains constant and only the ratio of oxygen to fuel changes with altitude.

More specifically, the vacuum created by the car's intake manifold will cause the fuel to flow at the same rate regardless of altitude. However, there will be a lower density of oxygen molecules going into the combustion chamber and thus, a rich burning environment is created.

To adjust for this problem of changing density relative to altitude, you have to calibrate the fuel rate relative to the airflow caused by the intake manifold's vacuum.

I agree that the airflow volume remains essentially the same, however air mass is 28% less at 9,000 feet. Since the venturi pressure drop is proportional to the working fluid density, it would seem less fuel would be drawn.

Walt Puryear said:
the venturi pressure drop is proportional to the working fluid density

Doesn't the pressure drop only in proportion to the speed of the air flowing past the fuel jet?

The needle valves adjust how much fuel flows in the presence of a vacuum for idle and full throttle conditions. The mass flow rate does change with altitude as there will be more or less of air's constituent parts per unit area as it moves through the vena contracta. I believe this explains the inability of the carburetor to inherently adjust the fuel mixture when there's a change in air pressure. To correct this, you must change how much fuel is drawn at the baseline vacuum created by full throttle and idle throttle with the needle valves.

(Of course, I could be completely wrong.)

Last edited:
I think I have managed to answer my own question. Using Bernoulli’s equation with a few assumptions like laminar flow, which is certainly not the case, and a nice online calculator at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html I came up with the results that follow. Using my carburetor’s dimensions and 6,000 rpm of flow, I found the venturi’s differential pressures to be:

sea level 2.32 psi
9,000 ft 1.62 psi

Not being able to calculate the actual fuel flow, I looked at the ratio of 2gh^.5 for the differentials pressures. At elevation this figure is 83% of seal level so have assumed fuel flow is also 83%.

Air mass flow at 9,000 feet is 70% of sea level for the same cfm. My wide band oxygen sensor runs a pretty consistent14.0 : 1 at sea level.

So (.7)(14) to (.83)(1) equates to 9.8 to .83 equates to 11.8 : 1. This is surprisingly close to the wide band oxygen sensor readings of 11 to 11.5 at elevation.
My conclusion is that lower air density results in less differential but since the quantity of fuel drawn is in proportion to the square root of head, a rich mixture results.

But as Pat8126 said, "I could be completely wrong".

Likes pat8126
It's great that you have solved the issue!

While I certainly don't know much about fluid dynamics, I think I learned a lot just over the last few days while researching your question so thank you for posting it.

A side issue for some carburetors is that the end of the fuel nozzle extends into the high velocity air flow, resulting in a vortice about the end of the fuel tube, which in turn lowers the pressure at the end of the tube further still (and also helps atomize the fuel), drawing more fuel than a flush mounted fuel nozzle. I'm not sure of the altitude versus pressure related effects for such a setup.

1. What is a carburetor and how does it work?

A carburetor is a device used in internal combustion engines to mix air and fuel in the correct ratio for combustion. It works by using suction created by the engine's intake stroke to draw air into the carburetor, where it is mixed with fuel and then sent to the engine's cylinders for combustion.

2. How does altitude affect carbureted engines?

At higher altitudes, the air is less dense, which means there is less oxygen available for combustion. This can result in a leaner air-fuel mixture in carbureted engines, which can cause engine performance issues such as reduced power and poor fuel economy.

3. What is the main difference between a carbureted engine and a fuel-injected engine?

The main difference between a carbureted engine and a fuel-injected engine is how the air and fuel are mixed. In a carbureted engine, the air and fuel are mixed in the carburetor before being sent to the engine's cylinders. In a fuel-injected engine, the air and fuel are mixed electronically using sensors and injectors.

4. Can a carburetor be adjusted to compensate for altitude?

Yes, a carburetor can be adjusted to compensate for altitude. This is typically done by adjusting the fuel-to-air ratio, also known as the carburetor's "jetting." At higher altitudes, the carburetor may need to be jetted richer (more fuel) to compensate for the thinner air.

5. Are there any other factors besides altitude that can affect the performance of a carbureted engine?

Yes, other factors such as temperature, humidity, and engine load can also affect the performance of a carbureted engine. For example, colder temperatures can cause the air to be denser, resulting in a richer air-fuel mixture, while higher humidity can cause the air to be less dense, resulting in a leaner air-fuel mixture.