Carcinogenic Pet Food: Study Findings & Impact on Pets

• Thread starter Tosh5457
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food pet
In summary, the World Health Organization has warned that processed meat is carcinogenic in humans, even in small daily doses, and that this finding also applies to pets. However, this study found that commercial pet foods contain mutagenic and carcinogenic compounds, and that even raw meat may have cancer-causing effects.
Tosh5457
After reading on the World Health Organization's warning that processed meat is carcinogenic (in humans), even in small daily doses, I went on to investigate if this finding also applies to pets, and found this study:

"Twenty-five commercial pet foods were analyzed for mutagenicactivity using the Ames/Salmonella test with strain TA98 and added metabolic activation. All but one gave a positive mutagenic response. Fourteen of these samples were analyzed for heterocyclicaminemutagens/carcinogens and all but one contained 2-amino-3,8-dimethylimidazo[4,5-f]quinoxaline (MeIQx) and 10 of 14 contained 2-amino-1-methyl-6-phenylimidazo[4,5-b]pyridine (PhIP) as analyzed by HPLC and confirmed by photodiode array peak matching. From these findings it is hypothesized that there is a connection between dietary heterocyclicamines and cancer in animals consuming these foods."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Mark+G.+Knize+MG,+Salmon+CP,+Felton+JS.+Mutagenic+activity+and+heterocyclic+amine++carcinogens+in+commercial+pet+foods.+Mutation+Research.+2003;539:195–201

Unfortunately I can't access the full paper, but I presume they tested with dogs and cats. If you find anything else about this topic I'd be glad to read it, I'm considering switching my cat's diet to a raw diet.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hmm. Note the use of the word hypothesized in the abstract. That means there needs to be more study. No testing with dogs and cats apparently.

From these findings it is hypothesized that there is a connection between dietary heterocyclic amines and cancer in animals consuming these foods.
Raw food is an alternative. You can buy chubs of ground meat/vegetables, frozen, for pets at some grocery stores. However, processed canned food is shelf stable for long periods. Raw meat is not - meaning that you may be reducing cancer risk (reduce not eliminate) long term and simultaneously increasing the risk of food borne illness and death. It is a trade off. So handle your raw food carefully. I feed my dogs raw chicken for what it is worth, but carcinogenesis is not one of the reasons.

Cancer is not a single disease. http://www.cancer.gov/types -> for us humans.

It is basically caused two ways: genetic (inherited) and environmental. Genetic causes are circa 5% of cancers, environmentally induced cancers are about 95%. So what you are doing is eliminating one exposure factor.

What I am saying is: consider that you are maybe placating yourself about helping your cat. This may be some help for the cat but it in no way is it a guaranteed 100% win. If the cat really likes raw food, go for it. Make the cat happy. And make yourself a little happier too.

In a more pessimistic view: there are a lot more immediate concerns about your cat's health. Keeping your cat 100% indoors is a great start.

Tosh5457 said:
Unfortunately I can't access the full paper, but I presume they tested with dogs and cats. If you find anything else about this topic I'd be glad to read it, I'm considering switching my cat's diet to a raw diet.

What do you mean by raw diet? Giving them uncooked food loaded with bacteria?

1. What is a carcinogen?

A carcinogen is any substance or agent that has the potential to cause cancer in living organisms. This can include chemicals, radiation, and certain viruses.

2. What are the common carcinogens found in pet food?

Some common carcinogens found in pet food include aflatoxins, which are produced by certain molds, and heterocyclic amines, which are formed during the cooking process. Other potential carcinogens include preservatives, dyes, and pesticides.

3. How does consuming carcinogenic pet food impact pets?

The impact of consuming carcinogenic pet food on pets can vary depending on the type and amount of carcinogen present, as well as the individual pet's health and susceptibility. In some cases, it can lead to the development of cancer over time, while in others it may cause more immediate health issues such as gastrointestinal upset or allergic reactions.

4. What are some ways to avoid feeding pets carcinogenic food?

To avoid feeding your pet carcinogenic food, it is important to read labels and choose pet food brands that do not contain known carcinogens. You can also opt for fresh or homemade pet food, as these are less likely to contain harmful substances. Additionally, avoiding foods that are heavily processed or contain artificial ingredients can help reduce the risk of exposure to carcinogens.

5. Are there any regulations in place to prevent the presence of carcinogens in pet food?

While there are regulations in place for the safety of pet food, they do not specifically address the presence of carcinogens. However, pet food manufacturers are required to follow certain guidelines and testing protocols to ensure the safety of their products. It is important for consumers to stay informed and choose pet food brands that prioritize safety and transparency in their production processes.

Back