Card Draw Probability with 2 copies of the same card

In summary, the odds of drawing one of the unique cards in the first 7 is expressed as 29c6 / 30c7 where NcK is "N choose K" or Binomial[N,K] in Mathematica. To answer the original question, the probability of drawing at least one of the two identical cards of interest can be calculated using the formula P(q or q') = 2* ( Binomial[29,6] / Binomial[30,7] ) - ( Binomial[28,5] / Binomial[30,7] ) = 0.4183. This can also be derived by calculating the probability of not drawing a card of interest on each of the 7 tries
gsyz
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to answer my own question of

"If I have a 30 card deck with 28 unique cards and 2 identical cards of interest, what are the odds of drawing one of the 2 identical cards in the first 7?"
I understand that the odds of drawing one of the unique cards in the first 7 is expressed as

29c6 / 30c7

where NcK is "N choose K" or Binomial[N,K] in Mathematica.

Am I correct in using the following to answer my original question?

Let q be the first card of interest and q' be the second:

P(q or q') = P(q) + P(q') - P(q and q')

which in the case of identical cards of interest becomes:

P(q or q') = 2*P(q) - P(q and q')

and the probability of P(q and q') is the following:

Binomial[28,5] / Binomial[30,7]

thereby giving a solution to my original question

P(q or q') = 2* ( Binomial[29,6] / Binomial[30,7] ) - ( Binomial[28,5] / Binomial[30,7] ) = 0.4183

Physics news on Phys.org
I arrived at the same answer (0.4183) as you did, using this thinking:

Probability of not drawing a card of interest is (28/30) on first draw.
Then for next draw it is (27/29), then (26/28), then (25/27) etc. to (22/24).
Multiply all of those probabilities together to get the probability of not drawing on 7 tries.

Subtract that from 1, to get Probability of drawing.

1. What is the probability of drawing at least one copy of a specific card in a 5-card hand with 2 copies of that card in the deck?

The probability of drawing at least one copy of a specific card in a 5-card hand with 2 copies of that card in the deck is approximately 60.6%. This can be calculated by taking the total number of possible combinations (10) and dividing it by the total number of possible hands (16.5).

2. How does the probability change if there are 3 copies of the same card in the deck?

If there are 3 copies of the same card in the deck, the probability of drawing at least one copy of that card in a 5-card hand increases to approximately 70.6%. This is because there are now 15 possible combinations (3 of the same card and 12 other cards) and 21 possible hands (3 of the same card and 18 other cards).

3. Is there a difference in probability if the 2 copies of the same card are in the deck or in the hand?

Yes, there is a difference in probability depending on whether the 2 copies of the same card are in the deck or in the hand. If the 2 copies are in the deck, the probability of drawing at least one copy in a 5-card hand is approximately 60.6%. However, if the 2 copies are in the hand, the probability decreases to approximately 40%. This is because there are now only 8 possible combinations (2 of the same card and 6 other cards) and 21 possible hands (2 of the same card and 19 other cards).

4. How does the probability change if there are multiple copies of different cards in the deck?

The probability of drawing at least one copy of a specific card in a 5-card hand with multiple copies of different cards in the deck can vary greatly depending on the specific combination of cards. In general, the more copies of a specific card in the deck, the higher the probability of drawing at least one copy in a 5-card hand. However, the probability can also be affected by the number of different cards in the deck and their distribution.

5. How can I calculate the probability of drawing a specific card in a hand with 2 copies of that card in the deck?

To calculate the probability of drawing a specific card in a hand with 2 copies of that card in the deck, you can use the formula (n-1)/(n+r-1), where n is the number of copies of the desired card in the deck and r is the number of cards in the hand. For example, if there are 2 copies of the desired card in a deck of 52 cards and you are drawing a 5-card hand, the probability would be (2-1)/(52+5-1) = 1/56 = approximately 1.8%.