Cardinality of non-measurable sets

In summary: So the continuum hypothesis says that there is no set with cardinality between ##\aleph_0## and ##2^{\aleph_0}##.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Is cardinality of non-measurable sets ##\aleph_0## or ##2^{\aleph_0}##?
The interval ##[0,1]## of real numbers has a non-zero measure. The set of all rational numbers in the interval ##[0,1]## has zero measure. But there are also sets that are somewhere in between, in the sense that their measure is neither zero nor non-zero. They are sets for which measure is not defined. Such sets, for instance, appear in the Banach-Tarski paradox. With a desire to get some better intuition of such sets, I ask about their cardinality. Are such sets continuous with cardinality ##2^{\aleph_0}##, or discrete with cardinality ##\aleph_0##? My intuition tells me that they should be continuous, but I want a confirmation.

Or is it perhaps undecidable in the ZFC axioms, in the same sense in which it is undecidable whether exist sets with cardinality bigger than ##\aleph_0## and smaller than ##2^{\aleph_0}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any countable set can be covered by a set of open intervals whose total length is less than any given ##\epsilon > 0##. So the measure of any countable set is zero. The Continuum Hypothesis is that there is no set with cardinality between ##\aleph_0## and ##2^{\aleph_0}##. If we accept the Continuum Hypothesis, then any unmeasurable set on the real line must have cardinality ##2^{\aleph_0}##

Likes Demystifier
Have you tried googling? This is the first result:

https://math.stackexchange.com/a/1367140/661543
It should be noted that the existence of a non-measurable set follows from the axiom of choice. There is no need to invoke the continuum hypothesis here.

FactChecker said:
Any countable set can be covered by a set of open intervals whose total length is less than any given ##\epsilon > 0##. So the measure of any countable set is zero. The Continuum Hypothesis is that there is no set with cardinality between ##\aleph_0## and ##2^{\aleph_0}##. If we accept the Continuum Hypothesis, then any unmeasurable set on the real line must have cardinality ##2^{\aleph_0}##

I think the question asks about the size of the set of all non-measurable sets, not the size of a non-measurable set. But anyway, given that a countable set is the countable union of singeltons, it is trivial that any countable set is measurable. Thus any non-measurable set is uncountable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier
Math_QED said:
I think the question asks about the size of the set of all non-measurable sets, not the size of a non-measurable set.
I just re-read it and am still not sure. I do not interpret it the way you do.
But anyway, given that a countable set is the countable union of singeltons, it is trivial that any countable set is measurable.
I agree.
Thus any non-measurable set is uncountable with cardinality ##|\mathbb{R}|##. There really is no need to use the continuum hypothesis here.
It just guarantees a cardinality greater than ##\aleph_0##. The continuum hypothesis says that it must be ##2^{\aleph_0}##.

Likes Demystifier and member 587159
FactChecker said:
I just re-read it and am still not sure. I do not interpret it the way you do.I agree.It just guarantees a cardinality greater than ##\aleph_0##. The continuum hypothesis says that it must be ##2^{\aleph_0}##.

Ok, the question is multi-interpretable. Forgive my stuborness. This happens when you post after a 12h flight on a plane. You are also right about the continuum hypothesis part.

[Edited my previous post to avoid confusion]

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes FactChecker
Math_QED said:
I think the question asks about the size of the set of all non-measurable sets, not the size of a non-measurable set.
Just to avoid confusion, I asked about the size of a non-measurable set.

Maybe to add or put the nail in the coffin, using completeness of measure, every subset of a set of measure 0 is measurable with measure zero. Edit: and every measure can be completed.

Last edited:

What is the definition of "cardinality of non-measurable sets"?

The cardinality of a non-measurable set refers to the number of elements or points in a set that cannot be assigned a measure or size. In other words, it is the size of a set that cannot be measured using traditional methods.

Why are non-measurable sets important in mathematics?

Non-measurable sets play a crucial role in mathematical analysis and the foundations of measure theory. They challenge our understanding of the concept of size and have led to the development of new mathematical techniques and theories.

How do you prove the existence of non-measurable sets?

The existence of non-measurable sets can be proven using the Axiom of Choice, which states that for any collection of non-empty sets, there exists a function that selects one element from each set. This function can be used to construct a non-measurable set by selecting one element from each set in a sequence of nested sets.

Can the cardinality of non-measurable sets be compared to the cardinality of measurable sets?

No, the cardinality of non-measurable sets cannot be compared to the cardinality of measurable sets. Measurable sets have a well-defined size or measure, while non-measurable sets do not. This means that their cardinalities cannot be compared in a meaningful way.

What are some real-life examples of non-measurable sets?

One example of a non-measurable set is the Vitali set, which is a set of real numbers that cannot be assigned a measure. Another example is the Banach-Tarski paradox, where a solid ball can be decomposed into a finite number of pieces and reassembled to form two identical copies of the original ball. Both of these examples demonstrate the counterintuitive nature of non-measurable sets.