Cardinality of Set: Proving lXl<lYl Implies lXl\inlYl

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that |X|<|Y| implies |X|∈|Y|, where |X| and |Y| are cardinal numbers of sets X and Y, and the ordering < is defined on cardinal numbers. The conversation includes a solution attempt and a hint for the proof, as well as a follow-up question about the correctness of the proof.
gotjrgkr

Homework Statement

Hi!
I want to show that lXl<lYl implies lXl[itex]\in[/itex]lYl where lXl and lYl are some cardinal numbers of two sets X and Y and the ordering < is defined on cardinal numbers .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it by myself as follows:
lXl < lYl [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] lXl[itex]\leq[/itex]lYl and not lXl=lYl( X is not equipotent to Y)
[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] there is a function f on X into Y s.t. f is a 1-1 function, and
not lXl=lYl( cardinal numbers lXl and lYl are not same)
[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] there is a function f on X into Y s.t. f is a 1-1 function, and
lXl[itex]\in[/itex]lYl or lYl[itex]\in[/itex]lXl since lXl and
lYl are initial ordinals.

But I can't determine why lXl must belong to lYl.

Could you give me a hint??

Physics news on Phys.org
|X| and |Y| are ordinals, and |X|<|Y| as ordinals (prove this). So, what do you know about the order relation on the ordinals?

micromass said:
|X| and |Y| are ordinals, and |X|<|Y| as ordinals (prove this). So, what do you know about the order relation on the ordinals?

I tried to prove it.
I found that if i assume lXl>lYl as ordinals, then it leads to lYl is less than or equal to lXl as cardinals. Then cantor- bernstein's theorem makes a conclusion s.t. lXl=lYl(X is equipotent to Y) . But this is contradiction to the hypothesis lXl<lYl as cardinals. And if lXl=lYl as ordinals, then it is obviously contradiction to the hypothesis. So, lXl<lYl.
Is my proof right??

Last edited:
micromass said:
Looks good!

I really appretiate for your help.
Thanks!

Related to Cardinality of Set: Proving lXl<lYl Implies lXl\inlYl

1. What is the meaning of "cardinality" in the context of sets?

Cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set. It is a measure of the size or magnitude of a set. For example, if a set contains 10 elements, its cardinality is 10.

2. How do you prove lXl

To prove lXl

3. What does lXl\inlYl mean?

The notation lXl\inlYl means the absolute value of the cardinality of set X is less than the absolute value of the cardinality of set Y. In other words, it indicates that the number of elements in set X is strictly less than the number of elements in set Y.

4. Why is it important to prove lXl

Proving lXl

5. Can lXl

Yes, lXl