Career decision: 100% one field, or 50-50 two fields?

In summary, the author is considering whether or not to continue their PhD in theoretical physics or to focus on their other research line. They are considering the advantages and disadvantages of each. They are also considering if it is possible to conduct research in both fields. They are not sure if there are any postdoc positions available in either field, but they know people who have successfully conducted research in both fields.
Kurret
I am currently doing a PhD in theoretical physics (let's for simplicity say gravity and black holes). However, I have also in my free time been working a bit in a more applied field (let's say cold atom physics), and have been reasonably successful (in the sense that I have some publications, and a couple of ideas of projects that I could do if I had more time, and I have good connections with collaborators in this field).

I am now facing (or I will be facing) and important decision: After my PhD, if I want to continue in academia, should I continue and focus all my attention on theoretical physics, or should I try to get serious with my other research line and do 50-50? I can see advantages and disadvantages with both:

In theoretical physics, the funding is very limited, and thus it is very hard to land jobs (especially faculty positions). Thus also doing research in a more applied field might give more job opportunities since there should be more money. However, I understand that I risk crippling myself in both fields, so that I will not be able to apply for job openings that are for instance purely directed at theoretical physics (for instance job openings with professors that have a personal grant for a specific subject). But for faculty positions, maybe it would be an advantage to have a more broad research interest?

What are your opinions on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you think you will get a 50-50 postdoc?

Vanadium 50 said:
How do you think you will get a 50-50 postdoc?
Yea...so that is sort of part of the problem. I guess it is not very likely that there are these positions after all, but that is also part of my question if it is possible at all.

Edit: But I do know that there are people that have for example successfully conducted research in both string theory and condensed matter physics (at post doc level), so it is not impossible (and I am not talking about AdS/CMT here)

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a career in one field compared to a career split between two fields?

The main benefit of pursuing a career in one field is that you can become an expert in that specific area. This can lead to higher job opportunities and a higher salary. On the other hand, splitting your career between two fields can provide a diverse skill set and potentially more job opportunities in different industries.

2. How do I determine which option is best for me?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your interests, skills, and long-term career goals. Consider exploring both options through internships or shadowing experiences to get a better understanding of each field and determine which one aligns more closely with your interests and strengths.

3. Will splitting my career between two fields make me less competitive in the job market?

Not necessarily. While some employers may prefer candidates with a specialized focus, others may value diverse skill sets and experiences. It's important to highlight the transferable skills you have gained from both fields and how they can benefit the company you are applying to.

4. Can I switch from one field to another later in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch from one field to another later in your career. However, it may require additional training or education to make the transition. It's important to carefully consider the potential challenges and opportunities before making a switch.

5. Is it possible to balance a career in both fields simultaneously?

It is possible to balance a career in both fields simultaneously, but it may require excellent time management and organization skills. It's important to prioritize tasks and set realistic expectations for yourself in order to maintain a healthy work-life balance.