Career within Engineering Analysing

In summary, the individual has recently graduated from Aeronautical Engineering and has been offered a graduate scheme as an Analyst Engineer in a large transport management company. They are curious about the long-term prospects of this role and whether there are opportunities to branch out into different areas within engineering. It is noted that analyst jobs are typically desk jobs, but with a large organization, there may be opportunities to branch out. Additionally, if the role involves travel and interaction with various individuals, there may be opportunities in that aspect as well. Ultimately, the individual's success and advancement will depend on their own efforts and connections rather than waiting for opportunities to be offered to them.
Chris074
I've recently graduated from studying Aeronautical Engineering and been offered a great graduate scheme for a large transport management company as an Analyst Engineer which I'm chuffed about.

My question is however, what sort of prospects can this offer me in the long run? And what other fields can I branch into? (Would it mean staying as an analyst or would I be sought after within different areas within engineering?)

Thanks in advance,
Chris.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically, I see analyst jobs as being desk jobs. However, if the organization is large, your opportunities to branch out elsewhere are pretty good.

Also, if a job involves a lot of travel and visiting with lots of people, you may find opportunities that way.

In the long run, your opportunities for advancement depend upon YOU and your contacts. Do not wait for people to offer you positions. Figure out what jobs interest you, earn the qualifications and then go do them.

What is engineering analysis?

Engineering analysis is the process of using mathematical and scientific principles to solve problems related to the design, development, and operation of various systems, structures, and processes within the field of engineering. It involves analyzing data, creating models, and performing simulations to understand and predict the behavior of a system.

What skills do I need to have for a career in engineering analysis?

To excel in engineering analysis, you will need strong analytical skills, critical thinking abilities, and a solid understanding of mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. You should also have proficiency in using software tools and programming languages commonly used in engineering analysis, such as MATLAB, Python, and ANSYS.

What industries hire engineers for analysis?

Engineers with strong analytical skills are in demand in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, manufacturing, and telecommunications. They are often employed in research and development, product design, process improvement, and quality control roles.

What are the job prospects for a career in engineering analysis?

The job outlook for engineering analysis is positive, with a projected growth rate of 2% from 2019 to 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The increasing complexity of engineering systems and the need for efficiency and cost-effectiveness will drive the demand for skilled engineers in this field.

What are some common tools and techniques used in engineering analysis?

Some common tools and techniques used in engineering analysis include finite element analysis (FEA), computational fluid dynamics (CFD), statistical analysis, and optimization algorithms. Engineers also use various software tools, such as CAD, CAM, and simulation software, to aid in their analysis and design processes.