Nuclear and Astronautical Engineering: Exploring Career Prospects

In summary, the conversation was about a person's dilemma between studying nuclear or astronautical engineering as a career. They expressed concerns about the future prospects of nuclear engineering due to negative reports and the shutdown of nuclear plants in 2020. They also asked about the relationship between astronautical engineering and other branches of engineering, as well as the pay for both nuclear and astronautical engineers. Other users suggested studying the discipline that interests them the most, as well as considering future job opportunities and potential pay.
Johnfranco21
Hello!

I am just months away from finishing High School and both, nuclear and astronautical engineering are the careers I am striving towards to. The thing is that I have read so many bad things and prospects for nuclear engineering, that I am not sure if it is a viable career. I want to study in Germany, but with the nuclear plants shooting down in 2020, is there still any point on studying nuclear engineering? I am convinced it is the energy of the future, but more and more countries are shying away from it

Also, if I were to study astronautical engineering, which other branch of engineering would I have to study first (mechanical or aeronautical)? How is the pay for nuclear engineers and astronautical engineers?

Is there any other career you would recommend me? I love physics and mathematics and I am pretty good with chemistry (although I don't love it too much). I am looking for a profession that will have a good pay and will definitely have a good future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Hey, I just read your post and was in a similar dilemma between engineering and computer science. While I was researching engineering I found most employed aeronautical engineers hold BA's in mechanical engineer degree's. It seemed as if you are positive you want to go into aeronautical it would be wiser to do so; however if you are still unsure the more vague mechanical engineering degree might be a more profitable idea. As far as Nuclear engineering goes, I was in the Navy for a few years and from my personal experience of meeting people that worked in the reactor, none had troubles finding jobs when they seperated. Hope this helps! Oh by the way this is from a North American perspective, I noticed you specified college in Germany from your post.

A lot of astronautics engineers started out with aeronautics. I started out with physics. A friend of mine is a nuclear engineer, who originally did maths. My advice would be to study the one that engages you the most - not what you suspect will pay you more in 20 years time.

Ed said:
My advice would be to study the one that engages you the most - not what you suspect will pay you more in 20 years time.

That's good advice for comparing between (sometimes radically) different fields; however, for when comparing similar fields, e.g. different disciplines of engineering, future prospects is an important consideration.

1. What is the difference between nuclear engineering and astronautical engineering?

Nuclear engineering involves the study and application of nuclear reactions, such as nuclear power plants and weapons. Astronautical engineering focuses on the design and development of spacecraft and related technologies.

2. What are the job prospects for a career in nuclear and astronautical engineering?

The job prospects for these fields are generally very good, with a high demand for skilled professionals in both the nuclear and space industries. These careers offer competitive salaries and opportunities for growth and advancement.

3. What kind of education is required for a career in nuclear and astronautical engineering?

Typically, a bachelor's degree in nuclear or astronautical engineering is required for entry-level positions. However, many employers prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher. Additionally, relevant internships and research experience can also be beneficial in securing a job in these fields.

4. What skills are important for a career in nuclear and astronautical engineering?

Some important skills for nuclear engineering include a strong understanding of physics, math, and chemistry, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. Astronautical engineering requires skills such as computer-aided design (CAD), systems engineering, and knowledge of spacecraft materials and structures.

5. What are some potential challenges in a career in nuclear and astronautical engineering?

Some potential challenges in these fields include working with hazardous materials and potentially dangerous technology, as well as the high levels of responsibility and pressure associated with designing and operating nuclear power plants or spacecraft. Additionally, the constantly evolving nature of technology in these fields may require continuous learning and adaptation.