Signal Processing jobs with a Biomedical Engineering degree

In summary, the individual is interested in finding an entry level engineering position, specifically in the biomedical engineering field. They have a background in engineering science, physics, and biomedical engineering, with a specialization in neural engineering. They are considering general signal processing and imaging engineering jobs, but are unsure if they should focus on medical device and pharmaceutical industries for their job search. They also mention needing to find a job in an urban area due to a disability and their current job in quality control does not align with their career aspirations. They are also considering pursuing a PhD in biomedical engineering, but have decided to delay further education due to financial constraints.
xicor
I'm starting a new job search where I'm interested in getting an entry level engineering position so I'm trying to figure out the industries where I would realistically be able to obtain a job as an engineer. I obtained my A.S in Engineering Science, my B.S in Physics, and my M.S in Biomedical Engineering where I had electrical engineering electives in my physics degree and my graduate studies were specialized in neural engineering which consisted of signal processing and imaging applications to the brain. I'm really interested in biomedical engineering but it isn't obvious how I can start out my career path in engineering and I'm questioning if it would be necessary for me to first obtain experience through an company or organization that has starting positions in signal or image processing. At this point I'm trying to figure out what Industries I can consider and if electrical engineering companies are a possibility or not so I can have more of a focus in my job search.

A year ago I was able to obtain a job in quality control in my local town but I have lost interest in the position and am not developing any skills relevant to being able to advance my career. The manager to my position understands this and knows the position only exists to create jobs for the area and they are supportive of me trying to obtain a job and career path related to my education. This year I have started the process for doing a PhD in biomedical engineering but am deciding now to delay further education because I have an enormous debt that I need to tackle aggressively and need to do this right away. The positions I'm considering would have to be in an urban environment because of my disability where one of my employees recommended going to the West Coast where he gave me a contact in Seattle related to neural engineering. With these factors in consideration should I consider general signal processing and imaging engineering jobs or should I focus purely within the medical device and pharmaceutical industries to find a starting job in engineering?

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my thought. Narrowing your search too much may eliminate some potential employers. You have already narrowed it some by needing an urban area. You need to look at several potential employers, perhaps in a variety of specialties to increase your chances.

Signal processing is I think a great option for physics background because it's essentially applied math, with an intuition about the physics of the signals being generated.

The problem though is you do not mention how much signal processing you already know/have learned and how much learning you are willing to do...

1. What is signal processing and how does it relate to biomedical engineering?

Signal processing is the analysis, manipulation, and extraction of information from signals, such as biological or physiological signals. It involves using mathematical algorithms and techniques to process and interpret signals. In biomedical engineering, signal processing is crucial for understanding and analyzing biological signals, such as EEG, ECG, and MRI, to diagnose and treat medical conditions.

2. What are some common job titles for signal processing roles in the biomedical engineering field?

Common job titles for signal processing roles in biomedical engineering include Biomedical Signal Processing Engineer, Biomedical Data Scientist, Biomedical Signal Processing Researcher, and Biomedical Signal Processing Analyst.

3. What skills are important for a signal processing job with a biomedical engineering degree?

Some important skills for a signal processing job with a biomedical engineering degree include knowledge of signal processing techniques and algorithms, proficiency in programming languages such as MATLAB and Python, data analysis and interpretation skills, and familiarity with biomedical equipment and signals.

4. What industries or sectors typically employ signal processing professionals with a biomedical engineering degree?

Signal processing professionals with a biomedical engineering degree can work in a variety of industries and sectors, including healthcare, medical device companies, pharmaceuticals, research institutions, and government agencies.

5. Are there any certifications or additional training that can help with a signal processing job in the biomedical engineering field?

Yes, there are certifications and additional training programs that can enhance your skills and knowledge in signal processing for biomedical engineering. Some examples include the Certified Biomedical Engineering Technician (CBET) certification, courses in signal processing and machine learning, and specialized training in specific biomedical signals and equipment.