Carnival Swing Question, I am severely stuck

star33
Homework Statement
A “swing” ride at a carnival consists of chairs that are swung in
a circle by 3.0 m cables attached to a vertical rotating pole, as the
drawing shows. Suppose the total mass of a chair and its occupant is
50.0 kg.
(2.a) Plot the free body diagram of the chair and its occupant.
(2.b) Determine the tension T in the cable attached to the chair
when its velocity is 3.46 m/s. [Hint: You may need to solve a
quadratic equation to find θ.]
Relevant Equations
centripital force=tension
mg=tension(costheta)
I found the x and y components and then divided the two equations to see if I can solve for the angle but that did not work. I have been at this for two hours, please help me.
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 1.01.55 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your work. Did you come to a quadratic equation?

No I did not, that is the part I am having trouble with. Could you please help me with it?

star33 said:
No I did not, that is the part I am having trouble with. Could you please help me with it?
Go back to part (2.a).
Write Newton's second law for the system consisting of the chair and the occupant.
Post your work.

star33 said:
Relevant Equations: centripital force=tension
Not in this arrangement. Which way does the centripetal force need to act? Which way does the tension act?

star33 said:
(2.a) Plot the free body diagram of the chair and its occupant.

I found the x and y components and then divided the two equations to see if I can solve for the angle but that did not work. I have been at this for two hours, please help me.
Welcome, @star33 !

Could you please show us your free body diagram, and the x and y components, and the two equations?

What is the Carnival Swing Question?

The Carnival Swing Question is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the tension in the cables of a swing ride at an amusement park.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the Carnival Swing Question?

The key concepts involved in solving the Carnival Swing Question include understanding the forces acting on the swing, such as tension, gravity, and centripetal force, as well as applying Newton's laws of motion to analyze the motion of the swing.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve the Carnival Swing Question?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to solve the Carnival Swing Question include forgetting to account for all the forces acting on the swing, incorrectly setting up the equations of motion, and not properly considering the geometry of the swing ride.

How can I approach solving the Carnival Swing Question if I am stuck?

If you are stuck on the Carnival Swing Question, try breaking down the problem into smaller parts, reviewing the key concepts involved, and considering different approaches to solving the problem. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources to guide you through the solution.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the physics behind the Carnival Swing Question?

Understanding the physics behind the Carnival Swing Question can help engineers design safer and more efficient amusement park rides, improve the performance of swing rides, and enhance the overall experience for riders. It also provides valuable insights into the principles of mechanics and motion that can be applied to various other engineering and scientific fields.