Find tension in cables supporting giant swing

In summary: But you wrote "multiply by 60" which suggests that the 60 was in the numerator, which it isn't.As I would hope. But you wrote "multiply by 60" which suggests that the 60 was in the numerator, which it isn't.In summary, the problem involves a person sitting on a seat supported by two cables, one horizontal and one at a 40 degree angle to the vertical. The swing moves in a horizontal circle at a rate of 32 rev/min and the horizontal cable is 7.5 m long. The person weighs 825N and the seat weighs 255N. The goal is to find the tension in each cable. The attempt at a solution involves using a free body
heartshapedbox

Homework Statement

Picture a seat that is supported by two cables. One is horizontal, and the other makes an angle of 40 degrees to the vertical. The swing swings in a horizontal circle at a rate of 32 rev/min. The horizontal cable is 7.5 m long. The person sitting on the seat at the end of the cables weighs 825N and the seat weighs 255N. What is the tension in each cable?

Homework Equations

see below

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked out that;
mv^2/r=F(horizontal)+F(slanted)sin40 i hat
F(slanted)cos(40)=255+825 k hat

My problem is that I feel as though i am not correctly determining the velocity, as I am not arriving at the correct answer. Here is my attempt:

Radius to the centre of the circle: 7.5m
circumference=2(pi)(radius)
this gives me distance traveled in m.
The swing moves 32 revolutions per min.
therefore, 32x circumference is the total distance traveled per min
multiply by 60 to get m/second.

This number ends up getting way to huge! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
heartshapedbox said:
I have worked out that;
mv^2/r=F(horizontal)+F(slanted)sin40 i hat
F(slanted)cos(40)=255+825 k hat

My problem is that I feel as though i am not correctly determining the velocity, as I am not arriving at the correct answer. Here is my attempt:
make out a free body diagram of the swing with the man sitting on it moving on circular path ; i think there will be two force equations; one in vertcal dir. another in horizontal direction!

heartshapedbox said:
You might want to think some more about that.

Also, what value are you using for m in the horizontal force equation?

Likes CWatters
haruspex said:
You might want to think some more about that.

Also, what value are you using for m in the horizontal force equation?
I multiplied by 60 to get from from metres/min to metres/second. Can u explain what's wrong? thank :)

drvrm said:
make out a free body diagram of the swing with the man sitting on it moving on circular path ; i think there will be two force equations; one in vertcal dir. another in horizontal direction!

I have done that :) K hat and I hat!

heartshapedbox said:
I multiplied by 60 to get from from metres/min to metres/second. Can u explain what's wrong? thank :)
I can easily walk at 60 metres per minute. I have no chance of walking at 3600 metres a second.

Edit: one way to get these conversions right is to treat the units as though they are variables.
(60 m/min) / (60 sec/min) = ?

Last edited:
heartshapedbox said:
The swing moves 32 revolutions per min.
therefore, 32x circumference is the total distance traveled per min
well i did your calculation i get speed around 25 m/second that's not huge!

drvrm said:
well i did your calculation i get speed around 25 m/second that's not huge!
Including "multiply by 60"?

haruspex said:
Including "multiply by 60"?

No, my 60 was in the denominator- Actually it has 32 rev. per minute so if i write rev per sec then it would be (32/60) rev per sec...

drvrm said:
No, my 60 was in the denominator- ..
As I would hope.

What is the formula for finding the tension in cables supporting a giant swing?

The formula for finding the tension in cables supporting a giant swing is T = (W * L) / (2 * sinθ), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the swing, L is the length of the cable, and θ is the angle at which the cable is suspended.

How do I determine the weight of the giant swing?

The weight of the giant swing can be determined by using a scale or by calculating the weight of each individual component (such as the seat, frame, and chains) and adding them together.

What factors affect the tension in the cables?

The tension in the cables supporting a giant swing is affected by the weight of the swing, the length of the cable, and the angle at which the cable is suspended. Other factors that can affect tension include external forces such as wind or additional weight being added to the swing.

How do I ensure the cables can support the weight of the giant swing?

The cables should be chosen based on their weight capacity and strength. It is important to consult with an engineer or use a weight capacity calculator to determine the appropriate cables for the weight and height of the giant swing.

What safety precautions should I take when calculating the tension in the cables?

When calculating the tension in the cables supporting a giant swing, it is important to ensure that all measurements are accurate and that the correct formula is used. It is also important to regularly inspect the cables and replace them if there are any signs of wear or damage.