How Do You Determine Temperature in Series Carnot Engines by Equating Work Done?

In summary: If each engine is Carnot, what can you conclude from considering the series-connected engines as one engine?"Assuming equating the work of the two engines, if T is close to 600K the hotter engine will obviously do less work than the cooler. Etc.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
Two Carnot engines A and B are operated in series. Engine A receives heat from a reservoir at 600 K and rejects heat to a reservoir at temperature T. Engine B receives heat rejected by engine A and in turn rejects it to a reservoir at 100 K. If the efficiencies of the two engines A and B are represented by ηA and ηB, respectively,then what is the value of Ratio of ηA and ηB
Relevant Equations
I know i have to use the efficiency formula and everything is fine but i don't know how to find T its the only unknown in my equation can someone please tell me how to find T . In the solution they got the value of T by equating the work done by the two engines , but why is their work done equal ?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing in your statement of the problem that constrains T. Either the answer is supposed to leave T as an unknown parameter, or there must be more to the question.

In terms of T, if QH is the heat received by engine A at 600 K, what is the amount of heat Q rejected to engine B? In terms of the amount of heat Q received by engine B at T, what is the amount of heat rejected by engine B at 100 K?

Assuming equating the work of the two engines? If T is close to 600K the hotter engine will obviously do less work than the cooler. Etc. Therefore, not a good assumption!

But - I suspect this was postulated as part of the problem, in which case T can indeed be found in terms of T1 and T2 (600K and 100K).

Hint: if each engine is Carnot, what can you conclude from considering the series-connected engines as one engine?

Hi Prabs3257. The key here is to realize that the heat flow into the reservoir from engine A is exactly equal to the heat flow out of the reservoir to engine B. So there is no accumulation of heat in that middle reservoir at temperature T. This means that the total entropy change is 0. Therefore, the two engines operate as equivalent to a single carnot engine operating between 600K and 100K.

AM

Likes OmCheeto
rude man said:
Assuming equating the work of the two engines?
I suspect this was postulated as part of the problem
Apparently so! Found this on the net

1576390457431.png

1. What is a Carnot engine in series?

A Carnot engine in series refers to a setup where multiple Carnot engines are connected in a series, with the heat output of one engine being used as the heat input for the next engine. This allows for a more efficient conversion of heat energy into work.

2. How does a Carnot engine in series work?

A Carnot engine in series works by utilizing the principle of thermal efficiency, which states that the efficiency of a heat engine is dependent on the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs. The first engine in the series uses the heat from the hot reservoir to do work, and the remaining engines use the heat output of the previous engine as their heat input.

3. What are the advantages of using Carnot engines in series?

The main advantage of using Carnot engines in series is that it allows for a higher overall thermal efficiency compared to a single Carnot engine. This is due to the fact that the heat rejected by one engine can be used as the heat input for the next engine, reducing waste heat and increasing the amount of work produced.

4. What are the limitations of Carnot engines in series?

One of the main limitations of Carnot engines in series is that they require a high temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs in order to function efficiently. This can be difficult to achieve in real-world applications, making the use of Carnot engines in series impractical for some systems.

5. How are Carnot engines in series different from other heat engines?

Carnot engines in series are different from other heat engines in that they operate on the Carnot cycle, which is a theoretical cycle that represents the most efficient way to convert heat energy into work. Most other heat engines operate on different cycles, such as the Otto or Diesel cycles, which have lower efficiencies compared to the Carnot cycle.