Car's braking distance formula

In summary: AH I see. Highway code should tells us the unit of V. Thank you ! :)Great answer. I have also been wondering where the 254 comes from. Now its easier to remember which speed to convert with 3.6 or 0.27778 and which speed does not require conversion because the factor is alredy included in either 254 or 3.6 or 0.694 (TeV). Thank you.
hugo_faurand
Hello everyone !
I'm working on my highway code and my book give me the approximate formula and the real formula of the braking distance. Here's the real formula according to the book :

$$ Bd = \frac{V^2}{254 \times f} $$

With :
V : the velocity
f : the adherence coefficient.

But I have on question. Where does this 254 come from ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards

Hugo

Engineering news on Phys.org
That factor is a units conversion when V is measured in km/h instead of the usual m/s.

Likes russ_watters
Doc Al said:
That factor is a units conversion when V is measured in km/h instead of the usual m/s.

It's strange, usually we multiply (or divide) by 3.6 when we want to convert m/s in km/h (km/h in m/s).

hugo_faurand said:
It's strange, usually we multiply (or divide) by 3.6 when we want to convert m/s in km/h (km/h in m/s).
Right. That 254 is more than just a units conversion, it also contains part of the standard formula: $$\frac{V^2}{2 g \times f}$$

Doc Al said:
Right. That 254 is more than just a units conversion, it also contains part of the standard formula: $$\frac{V^2}{2 g \times f}$$
Sorry but I don't find the right calculus. 2*9.8 = 19.6 So I don't understand how you find this 254.

hugo_faurand said:
Sorry but I don't find the right calculus. 2*9.8 = 19.6 So I don't understand how you find this 254.
2*9.8 takes care of the 2g factor. Now include the conversion from (km/h)^2 to (m/s)^2. That requires multiplying by (1/3.6)^2, which gives you a constant of 2*9.8*3.6^2 = 254 in the denominator.

Doc Al said:
2*9.8 takes care of the 2g factor. Now include the conversion from (km/h)^2 to (m/s)^2. That requires multiplying by (1/3.6)^2, which gives you a constant of 2*9.8*3.6^2 = 254 in the denominator.

AH I see. Highway code should tells us the unit of V. Thank you ! :)

Great answer. I have also been wondering where the 254 comes from. Now its easier to remember which speed to convert with 3.6 or 0.27778 and which speed does not require conversion because the factor is alredy included in either 254 or 3.6 or 0.694 (TeV). Thank you.

What is the formula for calculating a car's braking distance?

The formula for calculating a car's braking distance is: d = (v²)/(2a), where d is the distance in meters, v is the initial velocity in meters per second, and a is the deceleration in meters per second squared.

What factors affect a car's braking distance?

The factors that affect a car's braking distance include the car's initial speed, the road condition, the weather conditions, the type and quality of the car's brakes, and the weight and size of the car.

How can I estimate a car's braking distance?

To estimate a car's braking distance, you can use the formula d = (v²)/(2a) and input the car's initial speed and the average deceleration of a car (around 9.8 meters per second squared). You can also refer to braking distance tables provided by car manufacturers.

What is the relationship between a car's speed and its braking distance?

There is a direct relationship between a car's speed and its braking distance. This means that as the car's speed increases, its braking distance also increases. This is due to the fact that a car needs more time and distance to come to a complete stop at higher speeds.

How can I reduce a car's braking distance?

To reduce a car's braking distance, you can ensure that the car's brakes are regularly maintained and in good condition. You can also decrease your speed while driving, especially in hazardous road and weather conditions. Keeping a safe distance from other vehicles can also help reduce a car's braking distance.