Kinematics car braking scenario

In summary: I know everything in the equation except the acceleration. And the unknown, a, is the only thing left on one side of the equation. That's always nice to have.I think you are right that using ##s= (v_f + v_i)/2 t## is a good place to start. And, yes, I think that using ##v_f = at + v_i## is also a good choice. Between the two you can find a. From there you can find the time. So, in some sense, you could say that you could find the time from either of the two equations, since you know the two velocities.In summary, the car is braking evenly and comes to a
late347

Homework Statement

car is braking evenly. The brakes are in locking essentially (not ABS brakes) Car is sliding under sliding friction. Car comes to a fullstop at the distance of 150m
starting velocity was 100km/h (27,77m/s)

calculate
a) braking time
b)cars deceleration
c) friction coefficient between tyre and road

known variables
s=150m
mass=1500kg
##V_0=27,77 m/s##
##V_1= 0 m/s##
##t_0= 0s##
##t_1= ?##
##a= ?##
## F= ?##

Homework Equations

##V_{avg} * t = s##
##V_1= V_0 +at##
##F=ma##
##F=F_μ##
##a=μ*g##
##F_μ= μ* F_N##
##|F_N|=|G|##

##G=mg##

The Attempt at a Solution

This was an old exam problem the most difficult of them I would say.

I did not do it very well, under the time pressure. But I attempted to do it at home afterwards when I hopefull was able to do better quality creative thinking.

It is known that car decelerates at even acceleration.
therefore (it took me some considerable time to realize how to calculate the braking time, this was tough cookie for me)

##s= V_{avg} * t_1##
##t_1=10.8030s##

thus
##V_1=V_0+at##
##a= -2,5705 m/s^2##

thus
after realizing that F_net upon the car in the horizontal axis should equal the force of braking. Gravity and support force cancel out.

##F_μ=ma##

apparently according to my notes from lecture, it seems that
thusly
##a= μ*(g)##
##-2,5705m/s^2= -9.81m/s^2 *μ##
##μ=0,2620##

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question? Your answers look about right.

Yes, that all looks good.

the point about the calculate friction coefficient was more difficult.

I think it was more about the absolute value signs used in my teacher's notes that he gave us.

##a=|\vec{a}|= \frac{|∑\vec{F}|}{m}=\frac{|\vec{F_{μ}}|}{m}= \frac{μ*|\vec{F_{N}}|}{m}=\frac{μ*|\vec{G}|}{m}=\frac{μmg}{m}=μg##

Is this really true and how is it true, especially given the things about absolute values in the equation.
##\frac{|\vec{F_{μ}}|}{m}= \frac{μ*|\vec{F_{N}}|}{m}##

Using the magnitudes of the vectors simplifies things. We know, for example that the normal to the surface where the motion is taking place must be at right angles to the motion. We also know that (kinetic) friction always acts opposite to the direction of motion, and has the same magnitude regardless of its direction. It's much simpler to deal with friction as a magnitude and assign the direction to the friction force when we know the direction of motion.

Does that address your issue? I wasn't sure exactly what was giving you problems.

Likes late347
gneill said:
Using the magnitudes of the vectors simplifies things. We know, for example that the normal to the surface where the motion is taking place must be at right angles to the motion. We also know that (kinetic) friction always acts opposite to the direction of motion, and has the same magnitude regardless of its direction. It's much simpler to deal with friction as a magnitude and assign the direction to the friction force when we know the direction of motion.

Does that address your issue? I wasn't sure exactly what was giving you problems.

did an alternate strategy exist for solving the braking time?

(some other method than that which I used with average velocity times the time = distance)

late347 said:
did an alternate strategy exist for solving the braking time?

(some other method than that which I used with average velocity times the time = distance)
Sure. You could have found the acceleration first from the initial velocity and distance with an appropriate choice of equation from the SUVAT menu. Then use the one relating distance, acceleration, and time to extract the time.

gneill said:
Sure. You could have found the acceleration first from the initial velocity and distance with an appropriate choice of equation from the SUVAT menu. Then use the one relating distance, acceleration, and time to extract the time.
seeing as how I already did the problem in one way successfully, I can ask for clarification.

care to elaborate on which equation you would use to get the acceleration calculated?

Because you don't know acceleration and neither the ending time.

I think the problem certaniily seems to guide you towards first getting the time from
##s= V_{avg} * t##
##V_{avg}=\frac{V_1+V_0}{2}##

then doing the other calculations. But I suppose in the end the two other(?) SUVATs can be derived from only a couple of those equations. It seems the more fundamental ones were the
##v=u+at##
##s= \frac{v+u}{2}*t## for distance in even acc

late347 said:
care to elaborate on which equation you would use to get the acceleration calculated?
I'd use ##v_f^2 - v_i^2 = 2 a s##.

1. What is kinematics in relation to a car braking scenario?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In a car braking scenario, kinematics would refer to the position, velocity, and acceleration of the car as it slows down.

2. How does the initial speed of a car affect its braking distance?

The initial speed of a car directly affects its braking distance. The higher the initial speed, the longer the braking distance will be. This is because the car has more kinetic energy to dissipate, and it takes longer for the brakes to slow it down to a complete stop.

3. What is the difference between constant acceleration and constant deceleration?

Constant acceleration occurs when an object's velocity changes by a constant amount over a given time period. In a car braking scenario, this would be when the car is slowing down at a constant rate. Constant deceleration, on the other hand, refers to a constant decrease in velocity over time. In the case of a car braking scenario, this would be when the car is gradually slowing down until it comes to a complete stop.

4. How does the mass of a car affect its braking performance?

The mass of a car has a direct impact on its braking performance. A heavier car will have more inertia, making it harder to slow down and resulting in a longer braking distance. On the other hand, a lighter car will have less inertia and can be brought to a stop more quickly, resulting in a shorter braking distance.

5. What factors can affect the braking distance of a car?

Several factors can affect the braking distance of a car, including the initial speed, the mass of the car, the condition of the brakes, and the road conditions. Other factors such as the type of tires and the weight distribution of the car can also play a role in the braking distance.