Cartesian Equation of a plane containing 3 points

In summary: So, plugging in the coordinates of the point (1, 8, -2) gives you:\displaystyle 2\cdot 1 - 5\cdot 8 - 6\cdot(-2) = d\,\,\,\Longrightarrow\,\,\,d = -26..In summary, the Cartesian equation of the plane containing the points (0,-2,6), (1,8,-2), and (2,0,5) is 2x - 5y - 6z = -26. This can be found by taking the cross product of two vectors in the plane and setting up an equation with unknown constant d, then plugging in the coordinates of a point in the plane to solve
Blackh4wk

Homework Statement

Find the Cartesian Eqationn of the plane containing the points (0,-2,6), (1,8,-2) and (2,0,5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OA = 0,-2,6

AB = 1,10,8

AC = 2,2,-1

Cross product of AB AC = 6,-15,-18

X - 0 * 6
Y - (-2) * -15
Z - 6 * -18

Which becomes,

6x - 15y + 30 - 18z + 108 = 0

Clean it up

6x - 15y - 18z = -138

Proper answer is

2x - 5y - 6z = -26

Now, I know how you get the LHS to = the proper answer (divide by 3), but how do I go about getting the RHS to equate properly?

Or have I screwed up some of my arithmetic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Blackh4wk said:

Homework Statement

Find the Cartesian Eqationn of the plane containing the points (0,-2,6), (1,8,-2) and (2,0,5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OA = 0,-2,6

AB = 1,10,8

AC = 2,2,-1

Cross product of AB AC = 6,-15,-18

X - 0 * 6
Y - (-2) * -15
Z - 6 * -18

Which becomes,

6x - 15y + 30 - 18z + 108 = 0

Clean it up

6x - 15y - 18z = -138

Proper answer is

2x - 5y - 6z = -26

Now, I know how you get the LHS to = the proper answer (divide by 3), but how do I go about getting the RHS to equate properly?

Or have I screwed up some of my arithmetic?
Hello Blackh4wk. Welcome to PF !

No, your arithmetic looks OK, but you found the constant incorrectly.

Once you find [itex]\displaystyle \stackrel{\rightarrow}{\text{AB}}\times\stackrel{ \rightarrow}{\text{AC}}=\left\langle 6,\,-15,\,-18 \right\rangle\,,[/itex] and notice that each of the components is a multiple of 3, you should know that the equation of the plane can be written as:
[itex]\displaystyle 2x-5y-6z=d\,,[/itex]​
where d is a constant. Plugging in the coordinates of any point in the plane should give you d.

Related to Cartesian Equation of a plane containing 3 points

1. What is the Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points?

The Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points can be expressed as Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coordinates of the normal vector to the plane and D is a constant. This equation represents all points (x, y, z) that lie on the plane.

2. How do I find the normal vector of a plane containing three points?

To find the normal vector of a plane containing three points, you can use the cross product of two vectors formed by the three points. The result of the cross product will be the normal vector, which can then be used in the Cartesian equation of the plane.

3. Can the Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points have multiple solutions?

No, the Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points will have a unique solution. This is because three non-collinear points uniquely define a plane in three-dimensional space.

4. How can I check if a point lies on a plane defined by three points using the Cartesian equation?

To check if a point (x, y, z) lies on a plane defined by three points, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the Cartesian equation of the plane. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the plane.

5. Can the Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Cartesian equation of a plane containing three points can be extended to higher dimensions. In four-dimensional space, the equation would be Ax + By + Cz + Dw = E, and so on for higher dimensions. However, it is important to note that visualization of planes in higher dimensions may be difficult for humans to comprehend.