Cartesian to Polar in Double Integral

In summary, the given integral can be solved using elliptic coordinates, where x=ra cos(\theta) and y=rb sin(\theta). The use of Jacobian is needed to obtain the correct differential, which is not just "r dr d\theta" in this case.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]\iint_{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} \leq 1} \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}} dx dy [/tex]

Homework Equations

Cartesian to Polar

The Attempt at a Solution

Well - this Integral should be solved as a polar function (the radical should be [tex]\sqrt{1-r^2}ab[/tex] when expressed in polar coordinates. I just can't get this right. Guidance please?

Physics news on Phys.org
manenbu said:

Homework Statement

Solve:
[tex]\iint_{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} \leq 1} \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}} dx dy [/tex]

Homework Equations

Cartesian to Polar

The Attempt at a Solution

Well - this Integral should be solved as a polar function (the radical should be [tex]\sqrt{1-r^2}ab[/tex] when expressed in polar coordinates. I just can't get this right. Guidance please?
No, the radical is NOT of that form in polar coordinates. But you can modify the coordinate system to "elliptic coordinates". Let [itex]x= r a cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r a sin(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]x^2/a^2= r^2 cos^2(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y^2/b^2= r^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. You will need to use the Jacobian to get the correct differential dx dy is not just "[itex]r dr d\theta[/itex]" now.

ok, so maybe the "ab" is part of the differential. I guess that it comes from the Jacobian, which I have no idea how to use.

Related to Cartesian to Polar in Double Integral

1. What is the difference between Cartesian and Polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates use the x- and y-axes to locate a point in a two-dimensional plane, while Polar coordinates use the distance from the origin (r) and the angle (θ) to locate a point.

2. Why do we need to convert from Cartesian to Polar coordinates in a double integral?

Converting from Cartesian to Polar coordinates can make it easier to calculate the limits of integration and the integrand in a double integral, especially for integrals with circular or radial symmetry.

3. How do you convert a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates, you need to replace the variables x and y with rcos(θ) and rsin(θ), respectively, and change the limits of integration to correspond to the new variables.

4. When should I use Cartesian coordinates instead of Polar coordinates in a double integral?

Cartesian coordinates are usually more suitable for rectangular or linearly symmetric regions, while Polar coordinates are better for circular or radial symmetric regions. Therefore, the choice between the two depends on the shape of the region being integrated.

5. Are there any limitations to using Polar coordinates in a double integral?

Yes, using Polar coordinates in a double integral can become more complicated when the region of integration is not circular or radial symmetric. It may also require additional steps to convert the integrand into the new coordinate system.