Cartesian to polar integral help?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle θ in a given equation and determining whether it represents a semi-circle or a full circle. The person asking the question also clarifies which values of θ to use and confirms their final answer.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

amnbn.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my only problem curently is in finding the angle θ. I do get the equation x^2 + y^2 =1 however am confused whether this would be a semi-circle on the positive axis or a full circle. because my teacher has notes that confuse me. for instance ∫[itex]\sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex] -[itex]\sqrt{1-y^2}[/itex] my formatting is a bit off but that would be higher/lower bound. that is the only case where she made a complete circle, instead of a semi circle.

if it is a semi circle, theta would be 0≤ θ ≤ PI/2
however if its a full circle, since from y=-1 to y=1 it would be -PI/2 ≤ θ≤ PI/2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
x goes from 0 to the positive square root of ##1-y^2##. What part of the circle do you get when you solve it for ##x## and take the positive root? That will tell you which ##\theta##'s to use.

i think it would be the right hemisphere of the circle, since x=0 and increases, and the circle has radius of 1. so -PI/2 ≤ θ ≤ PI/2 what i got is right?

asdf12312 said:
i think it would be the right hemisphere of the circle, since x=0 and increases, and the circle has radius of 1. so -PI/2 ≤ θ ≤ PI/2 what i got is right?

Yes.

OK. then i got r3 by looking at f(x,y) so I ended up integrating ∫(r4 dr)dθ and got my final answer as PI/5.

Integrating with r from 0 to 1, [itex]\theta[/itex] from [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Yes, that is correct.

Related to Cartesian to polar integral help?

1. What does it mean to convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

Converting from Cartesian to polar coordinates is a way to represent a point in a 2-dimensional plane using a different coordinate system. In the Cartesian system, points are represented by their distances from the x and y axes. In the polar system, points are represented by their distance from the origin and the angle they make with the positive x-axis.

2. How do I convert a Cartesian integral to a polar integral?

To convert a Cartesian integral to a polar integral, you need to use the correct conversion formulas for the variables in the integral. For example, the conversion for dx would be dx = r cos θ dθ, and the conversion for dy would be dy = r sin θ dθ. You also need to change the limits of integration to correspond to the new coordinate system.

3. Can I use the same integration techniques for polar integrals as for Cartesian integrals?

Yes, many of the same integration techniques can be used for polar integrals as for Cartesian integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. However, the form of the integral may be different due to the conversion of variables and the change in limits of integration.

4. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates for integrals?

Polar coordinates can simplify the integration process in certain cases, such as when the boundaries of the region in question are circular or when the integrand involves trigonometric functions. They can also provide a more intuitive understanding of the geometry of the region being integrated.

5. How do I know when to use Cartesian or polar coordinates for an integral?

The choice of coordinate system depends on the shape and symmetry of the region being integrated. If the region is more easily described using polar coordinates, then it is often more efficient to use a polar integral. If the region is more easily described using Cartesian coordinates, then a Cartesian integral may be more appropriate. It is important to be familiar with both coordinate systems and their conversion formulas in order to make the best choice for a given integral.