Converting Cartesian to Polar (Double Integral)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the bounds for integrating a function using polar coordinates. The speaker is struggling to understand the concept and asks for help in determining the bounds for theta and r. Through further discussion and drawing a picture, the answer is found to be theta ranging from 0 to pi/4 and r ranging from 0 to sqrt(2). The speaker expresses a desire to understand the concept of polar coordinates more in depth.
Trebond

Homework Statement

Integrate from 0 to 1 (outside) and y to sqrt(2-y^2) for the function 8(x+y) dx dy.
I am having difficulty finding the bounds for theta and r.

Homework Equations

I understand that somewhere here, I should be changing to
x = r cost
y = r sin t
I understand that I can solve for x^2 +y^2 = 2, so I believe that r should range from 0 to sqrt 2 unless I am mistaken.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that y = 0 to y = 1,
and x is from y to sqrt (2-y^2), but what are the bounds for x? Given that y could be either 0 or 1, does y sweep from 1 to sqrt (2-y^2) or 0 to sqrt(2-y^2)?
EDIT: I found the solution correctly, but I would like to understand polar more in depth. I seem to be struggling quite a lot. To solve, I believed that theta had to range from 0 to pi/4 because x is bounded by y = x and sqrt(2-y), and thus intersect when y and x = 1 (or theta = pi/4).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Trebond, :welcome:

If you draw a picture, the answer is evident :smile: !

And conversely, if you don't draw a picture, a problem involving a change of coordinate systems is much more difficult.

What is the process for converting a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

The process for converting a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates involves transforming the limits of integration and the integrand from rectangular form to polar form. This can be done by using the polar coordinate transformation equations: x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ, and by substituting for dx dy in the integrand using the Jacobian determinant.

What are the advantages of converting a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

Converting a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates can often simplify the integrand and make it easier to evaluate. This is particularly useful when dealing with integrals involving circles, ellipses, or other polar curves. It can also make it easier to visualize and interpret the integral in terms of the geometry of the polar region.

What is the range of values for the polar coordinates in a double integral?

The range of values for the polar coordinates in a double integral depends on the specific problem and the shape of the polar region. Typically, the radius (r) will have a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit determined by the boundary of the polar region. The angle (θ) will have a lower limit of 0 and an upper limit of 2π, unless specified otherwise.

How do you determine the limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates?

The limits of integration for a double integral in polar coordinates can be determined by examining the boundaries of the polar region. The lower limit for the radius (r) will be 0, and the upper limit will be determined by the outermost boundary of the region. For the angle (θ), the lower limit will be 0 and the upper limit will be determined by the angle at which the region ends.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when converting a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates?

Some common mistakes to avoid when converting a double integral from Cartesian to Polar coordinates include forgetting to substitute for dx dy using the Jacobian determinant, using the wrong limits of integration, and incorrectly transforming the integrand. It is also important to remember to convert any constants in the integrand to polar form.