Castigaliano's Theorem for cantilever beams

In summary, the conversation is about deriving an expression for the deflection in a cantilever beam using Castigliano's theorem. The example solution attached is used to understand the process, particularly the origin of the term b^3 in line (b). The use of <x-b> notation is discussed, with the conclusion that it represents max{x-b, 0}. The individual then struggles to integrate this function, and is reminded to consider the range of values for b. Eventually, it is determined that only integrating up to the discontinuity is necessary to get the correct answer.
hatchelhoff

Homework Statement

Hi I am trying to derive an expression for the deflection in a cantilever beam using castigliano's theorem.
I have found and attached an example of the solution. I understand the most of what is going on in the attached solution but I don't know where the b^3 came from in the line (b)
castigliano for beam deflection.PNG

Homework Equations

see attached[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I perform the integration from line (a) i get
L^2/6(2L-3b). Can anybody explain where the b^3 in line (b) comes from[/B]

Attachments

• castigliano for beam deflection.PNG
    castigliano for beam deflection.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 610
Physics news on Phys.org
hatchelhoff said:
When I perform the integration from line (a) i get
L^2/6(2L-3b)
Remember what the <x-b> notation means. How will you integrate wrt x over 0 to l?

Are the angular brackets in <a-b> something to do with a singularity function, that is only turned on for certain cases.

hatchelhoff said:
Are the angular brackets in <a-b> something to do with a singularity function, that is only turned on for certain cases.
They mean (in the context of moments in beams etc.) max{a-b, 0}.

for max{x-b, 0}. I think x-b was chosen as the max in the attached example. so does this mean that <x-b>
can now be change to (x-b) ?

hatchelhoff said:
for max{x-b, 0}. I think x-b was chosen as the max in the attached example. so does this mean that <x-b>
can now be change to (x-b) ?
No.
x is the variable of integration and takes values from 0 to l. Draw a graph of <x-b> over that range. How are you going to integrate it?

I am having difficulty drawing the graph of <x - b> because I don't have a value for b yet. can you give me a further hint please.

hatchelhoff said:
I am having difficulty drawing the graph of <x - b> because I don't have a value for b yet. can you give me a further hint please.
I just meant a schematic graph, it does not have to be exact. x has some range. b is a point within that range.

you also mentioned about integrating from 0 to L. This would give me ((L^2)/6)*(2L-3B)) - ((0^2)/6)*(2(0)-3B)). is this correct ?

hatchelhoff said:
you also mentioned about integrating from 0 to L. This would give me ((L^2)/6)*(2L-3B)) - ((0^2)/6)*(2(0)-3B)). is this correct ?
No. You cannot integrate until you have figured out what to do with the <x-b>.
Have you tried to sketch a graph of <x-b> over the range 0 to L? Remember that 0<b<L. What does it look like?

I have plotted two charts with different values for b. One chart plots b at 0.1. the other chart plots b at 0.9.
I see in both cases that some of the <x-B> values are below the x-axis and some of the <x-b> are above the x-axis.

hatchelhoff said:
some of the <x-B> values are below the x-axis
By definition (see post #4) it is never below the x axis.

ok. So i guess I have to integrate between the limits of <x-b> greater than 0 and less that L. but how do i know if x-b is greater than 0 if I don't have a value for b.

hatchelhoff said:
ok. So i guess I have to integrate between the limits of <x-b> greater than 0 and less that L. but how do i know if x-b is greater than 0 if I don't have a value for b.
b is a given unknown. You do not need to know its value. Your answer will include a reference to it and be valid for all values of b.
How would you integrate a function that has a discontinuity or suddenly changes slope at some point?

You would have to perform two integrations. the limits of Integration1 would be from the end to the discontinuity. The limits of Integration2 would be from the discontinuity to the other end. you would then add these integrations together.

hatchelhoff said:
You would have to perform two integrations. the limits of Integration1 would be from the end to the discontinuity. The limits of Integration2 would be from the discontinuity to the other end. you would then add these integrations together.
Right, so do that.

Likes hatchelhoff
I performed one integration and I got the correct answer. I integrated using the limits b and L. My answer was (1/6)*((L^2)*(2L-3B) + B^3).
haruspex thanks for you patience and help in getting me to the correct answer. I take it that I only needed to integrate as far as the discontinuity and did not need to integrate the other side !

hatchelhoff said:
I performed one integration and I got the correct answer. I integrated using the limits b and L. My answer was (1/6)*((L^2)*(2L-3B) + B^3).
haruspex thanks for you patience and help in getting me to the correct answer. I take it that I only needed to integrate as far as the discontinuity and did not need to integrate the other side !
Yes, you do not need to integrate the range where it is zero.

1. What is Castigaliano's Theorem for cantilever beams?

Castigliano's Theorem, also known as the Castigliano's Second Theorem, is a fundamental principle in structural mechanics that relates the deflection of a structure to the partial derivative of the strain energy with respect to the applied load. In simpler terms, it provides a method for calculating the deflection of a cantilever beam when subjected to a specific load.

2. How is Castigliano's Theorem applied to cantilever beams?

To apply Castigliano's Theorem to a cantilever beam, one must first determine the strain energy function for the beam. This function takes into account the material properties, geometry, and loading conditions of the beam. Then, the partial derivative of this function with respect to the applied load is calculated. Finally, the deflection of the beam can be calculated by multiplying this partial derivative by the applied load.

3. What are the assumptions made in Castigliano's Theorem?

There are several assumptions that must be made in order for Castigliano's Theorem to be applicable to a cantilever beam. These include linear elastic behavior of the material, small deflections, and no plastic deformation. Additionally, the beam must have a constant cross-sectional area and must be statically determinate.

4. What are the limitations of Castigliano's Theorem?

While Castigliano's Theorem is a widely used and reliable method for calculating deflections in cantilever beams, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to linear elastic materials and small deflections, and it cannot account for stress concentrations or local yielding. Additionally, it may not be accurate for highly non-linear loading conditions or complex geometries.

5. What are some practical applications of Castigliano's Theorem?

Castigliano's Theorem is commonly used in the design and analysis of cantilever beams in various engineering fields, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace engineering. It can also be applied to other types of structures, such as frames and trusses. Additionally, it is useful in determining the critical loads and failure modes of structures under different loading conditions.