Cathodal vs Anodal Electrical Stimulation

In summary, the conversation is about electrical stimulation of nerve fibers and an image that compares cathodal and anodal stimulation. The image shows that for cathodal stimulation, there is a minimum distance at which anodal block occurs, while for anodal stimulation, there is no lower limit on the source-fiber distance. The inner scales represent a fiber diameter of 9.6 µm, and the outer scales represent a diameter of 38.4 µm. The source-fiber distance, current strength, and fiber diameter do not affect the solution.
emdezla

Hello everyone,

I am studying at the moment electrical stimulation of nerve fibers. I encountered this image which compares cathodal and anodal stimulation but illustrating the anodal block ocurring with cathode current. But I don't really get the point of the image, could someone clarify it to me?

I leave you here the description of the image:

Current-distance relationship for unmyelinated fibers. Excitation occurs for points lying in the shaded region. For cathodal stimulation, a minimum distance arises at the point where anodal block prevents the escape of the action impulse. For anodal stimulation, block does not occur; thus there is no lower limit on the source-fiber distance. The inner scales are for a fiber diameter of 9.6 µm, and the outer for a diameter of 38.4 µm. (An examination of Equations 21.10 and 21.13 shows that scaling the excitation with respect to both current strength, source-fiber distance, and fiber diameter leaves the solution unchanged.) (From Rattay, 1987.)

Thank you very much.

Biology news on Phys.org
What exactly are you confused by? Do you understand the concept of anodal block? Or is it something more specific about the graph?

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the difference between cathodal and anodal electrical stimulation?

Cathodal electrical stimulation involves the application of a negative charge, while anodal electrical stimulation involves the application of a positive charge.

2. What are the effects of cathodal vs anodal electrical stimulation on the body?

Cathodal electrical stimulation can have a sedative effect on the body, while anodal electrical stimulation can have an excitatory effect.

3. Which type of electrical stimulation is more commonly used in medical treatments?

Cathodal electrical stimulation is more commonly used in medical treatments, as it is believed to have a greater therapeutic effect on the body.

4. Can cathodal and anodal electrical stimulation be used together?

Yes, cathodal and anodal electrical stimulation can be used together in a technique known as transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS), which has been shown to have potential therapeutic benefits for various neurological and psychiatric conditions.

5. Are there any risks or side effects associated with cathodal and anodal electrical stimulation?

While both types of electrical stimulation are generally considered safe, some potential risks and side effects may include skin irritation, headache, and dizziness. It is important to consult with a medical professional before undergoing any type of electrical stimulation treatment.