Cathode-ray tube: Error in a book?

In summary, a cathode-ray tube, or CRT, is a vacuum tube that uses electrons to display images on a screen. The tube works by heating a cathode to emit electrons and using an anode to accelerate them towards a fluorescent screen. Despite the misconception that they are outdated technology, CRTs are still used in certain applications. They can be repaired if they have an error, but it may be more cost-effective to replace them. There are safety concerns with CRTs due to the high voltages and radiation they produce, so they should be handled with caution and disposed of properly.
belyi00
Hello. I was studying magnetism with the 9th edition of the Serway book and I think that I've found a mistake. In the cathode ray tube example (one of the uploaded pictures) it is said that the force acting on a electron goes downward, but using both right hand rules that they provide in the book - all I understand is that it goes upward. The right hand rules are in the uploaded pictures too. Can anyone help me with this?

Attachments

• tube.png
    tube.png
    59 KB · Views: 542
  • rule.png
    rule.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
I found my mistake, sorry for posting.

1. What is a cathode-ray tube?

A cathode-ray tube, also known as a CRT, is a vacuum tube used to display images on a screen by manipulating a beam of electrons.

2. How does a cathode-ray tube work?

A cathode-ray tube works by using a heated cathode, which emits electrons, and an anode, which accelerates the electrons towards a fluorescent screen. The electrons are then controlled by magnetic fields to create images on the screen.

3. What is the most common error found in a book about cathode-ray tubes?

The most common error found in books about cathode-ray tubes is the misconception that they are outdated technology. While they may not be as common in modern devices, CRTs are still used in certain applications such as older televisions and computer monitors.

4. Can a cathode-ray tube be repaired if it has an error?

Yes, cathode-ray tubes can be repaired if they have an error. However, it may be more cost-effective to replace the CRT instead of attempting to repair it.

5. Are there any safety concerns with cathode-ray tubes?

Yes, there are safety concerns with cathode-ray tubes due to the high voltages and radiation that they produce. It is important to handle them with caution and to properly dispose of them when they are no longer in use.