Postive rays in cathode ray tube experiments?

In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of the electron and the composition of positive rays. It is mentioned that positive rays consist of ions, specifically atoms missing one or more electrons. The possibility of these ions being protons is also mentioned, but it is noted that it would take a lot of energy to break apart the nucleus of an atom for this to be the case. The conversation also mentions a specific experiment involving a de-mountable tube, vacuum pump, and power supply, and notes that a magnet does not deflect the heavy positive rays.
sol47739
TL;DR Summary
I have some questions about the cathode ray experiments they did back in history and what the positive rays consist of about which I read in a book.
I read in the following book A history of the sciences by Stephen F. Mason. About the discovery of the electron the write what I attached in the picture.

I wonder what do these positive rays traveling in the opposite direction they talk about consist of? Some ions or what? I understand that the negative rays consist of electrons but positive rays? I can’t understand that it could be positrons since these cathode ray tubes are such simple equipment and at low energies that no positrons can appear. But what do they consist of? And what are they referring to?

Attachments

• bild.png
    bild.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 97
Physics news on Phys.org
They are ions; atoms missing one or more electrons. If it was Hydrogen gas then you could call them protons, otherwise it takes way too much energy to break apart the nucleus of an atom for these guys to have done.

Likes sol47739 and tech99
The tube would usually contain air, so positive ions of nitrogen and oxygen will be formed. I happened to find a de-mountable tube, vacuum pump and 5 kV power supply at a school where I worked and we did the experiment. A magnet does not deflect the heavy positive rays.

Likes sol47739

1. What are positive rays in cathode ray tube experiments?

Positive rays, also known as canal rays, are positively charged particles that are produced when a high voltage is applied to a gas-filled cathode ray tube. These particles are deflected by electric and magnetic fields, allowing scientists to study their properties.

2. How are positive rays produced in cathode ray tubes?

Positive rays are produced when a high voltage is applied to the cathode of a cathode ray tube, causing the gas inside the tube to ionize. This creates a stream of positively charged particles that are then accelerated towards the anode.

3. What is the significance of positive rays in cathode ray tube experiments?

Positive rays have played a crucial role in the development of modern atomic and nuclear physics. They allowed scientists to discover and study the properties of subatomic particles, such as protons and alpha particles, and to develop theories about the structure of the atom.

4. How are positive rays detected in cathode ray tube experiments?

Positive rays are detected using a variety of methods, such as photographic plates, fluorescent screens, and ionization chambers. These methods allow scientists to observe the path and behavior of the positive rays as they are deflected by electric and magnetic fields.

5. What are some applications of positive rays in modern science?

Positive rays continue to be used in modern science for a variety of applications. They are used in mass spectrometry to identify and analyze the composition of substances, in nuclear physics experiments, and in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET).