When and How Does an Integral Have a Cauchy Principal Value?

• I
  • Thread starter CAF123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy
In summary, the Cauchy principal value of an integral exists when there is a symmetrical limit around the singularity and the integral is well-behaved. In the example given, the Cauchy principal value was zero for the first integral and undefined for the second integral due to the singularity being non-integrable.
CAF123
Gold Member
Under what conditions does an integral have a cauchy principal value and how is it related to an integral having an integrable singularity?

E.g $$p.v \int_{-\delta}^{\delta} \frac{dz}{z} = 0$$ If I evaluate the integral along a semi circle in the complex plane I'll get ##i \pi##. So the cauchy principal value seems to be the real part of this calculation which is zero.

Similarly, $$\int_{-\delta}^{\delta} dz \frac{\ln(z)}{z} = i \pi \ln (\delta) + \pi^2/2, $$ but I don't think it's correct to say that the cauchy principle value is pi^2/2 in this case because the imaginary part depends on delta still, i.e. the singularity was not integrable. Are these statements correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically the principal value exists when a symmetrical limit about the singular point exists. Consider the integrals:

$$\text{p.v.}\int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{z}dz$$
$$\text{p.v.} \int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{z^2}dz$$
$$\text{p.v.} \int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{z e^z}dz$$

Just looking at the plots, intuitively you suspect the first one is zero, the second one does not exist and the third if it exists is probably negative right? I'll do the first one:

$$\int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{z}dz=\lim_{\delta\to 0} \biggr\{\log(z)\biggr|_{-1}^{-\delta}+\log(z)\biggr|_{\delta}^1\biggr\}$$
$$=\lim_{\delta\to 0}\biggr\{\log(-\delta)-\log(-1)+\log(1)-\log(\delta)\biggr\}$$
Now using the branch ##\log(z)=\ln|z|+i\theta,\;\; -\pi<\theta\leq \pi##, we have:
$$=\lim_{\delta\to 0}\biggr\{(\ln|\delta|+\pi i)-(\ln|1|+\pi i)+0-\ln|\delta|\biggr\}$$
$$=\lim_{\delta\to 0}\biggr\{\ln|\delta|-\ln|\delta|\biggr\}=0$$

Do the second one similarly and the third one you can do in Mathematica with special functions and should get a little less than -2.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
Thanks, what does the fact that $$\int_{-\delta}^{\delta} \frac{dz}{z-i\epsilon} = i \pi $$ (i.e delta independent) mean compared to say, $$\int_{-\delta}^{\delta} \frac{dz \ln(z-i\epsilon)}{z-i\epsilon} = i \pi \ln(\delta) + \pi^2/2$$ (i.e delta dependent)

In the first integral, the singularity at z=0 is not integrable yet the principal value exists while in the second case the singularity is not integrable and the principal value doesn't exist. As delta goes to zero in the first result, the rhs is well behaved while in the second it is diverging due to the ##\ln(\delta)##.

CAF123 said:
Thanks, what does the fact that $$\int_{-\delta}^{\delta} \frac{dz}{z-i\epsilon} = i \pi $$ (i.e delta independent) mean compared to say, $$\int_{-\delta}^{\delta} \frac{dz \ln(z-i\epsilon)}{z-i\epsilon} = i \pi \ln(\delta) + \pi^2/2$$ (i.e delta dependent)

In the first integral, the singularity at z=0 is not integrable yet the principal value exists while in the second case the singularity is not integrable and the principal value doesn't exist. As delta goes to zero in the first result, the rhs is well behaved while in the second it is diverging due to the ##\ln(\delta)##.

I don't understand what you mean by "singularity is not integrable". Also, perhaps you made a typo: The singularity of both is not zero but rather at ##i\epsilon##.

Also, I think these are equivalent to yours and a little easier to analyze:
$$\int_{-1}^1 \frac{1}{z} dz$$
$$\int_{-1}^1 \frac{\log(z)}{z}dz$$
And as written the integrals diverge. However the Cauchy Principal Value exists for the first and not the second. Also, little confusing what you're doing with the ##\delta## above: In order to take the Principal Value, we take a symmetrical limit around the singularity, zero for these two, with parameters ##(-\delta,\delta)## and then let ##\delta\to 0##. We showed the first integral converges in the prindipal sense above and can do a similar analysis for the second. For the second one, we end up with an expression:
$$\lim_{\delta\to 0}\biggr\{\frac{\ln^2|\delta|+2\pi i \ln|\delta|-\pi^2}{2}-\frac{\ln^2|\delta|}{2}\biggr\}$$
$$\lim_{\delta\to 0}\biggr\{\pi i \ln|\delta|-\frac{\pi^2}{2}\biggr\}\to \infty$$

1. What is the Cauchy principal value?

The Cauchy principal value is a mathematical concept used in calculus to define the value of an improper integral that does not converge in the traditional sense. It is a way to assign a numerical value to an integral that would otherwise be undefined.

2. How is the Cauchy principal value calculated?

The Cauchy principal value is calculated by taking the limit of the integral as the upper and lower bounds approach a specific point, called the singularity. This means that the integral is evaluated on either side of the singularity and then the two values are averaged.

3. When is the Cauchy principal value used?

The Cauchy principal value is used when dealing with integrals that have singularities, such as infinite or discontinuous points. It allows for the evaluation of these integrals in cases where the traditional methods would fail.

4. What is the difference between the Cauchy principal value and the regular integral?

The main difference between the Cauchy principal value and the regular integral is that the Cauchy principal value takes into account the behavior of the function at the singularity, while the regular integral does not. This means that the Cauchy principal value may give a different result than the regular integral in certain cases.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Cauchy principal value?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Cauchy principal value. It can only be used for integrals that have a finite singularity, meaning that the function approaches a constant value at the singularity. It also cannot be used for integrals that have a singularity at one of the integration limits.