Cauchy-Riemann Condition Verification for f(z) = z^3-5iz+√7

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying whether the function f(z)= z^3-5iz+√7 satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations. The attempt at a solution includes substituting for z=x+iy and showing that both sides of the Cauchy Riemann partial differential equations hold, but the person is seeking alternative methods of solving. The expert suggests using general principles, such as the fact that sums and products of functions satisfying CR also satisfy CR, to avoid messy calculations. The person also mentions the harmonic condition as a necessary but not sufficient condition for satisfying CR.
chwala
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Verify ## f(z)= z^3-5iz+√7## satisfies cauchy riemann equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

seeking alternative method
## f(z)= (x^3+5y-3xy^2+√7)+ (3x^2y-y^3-5x)i##
##∂u/∂x = 3x^2-3y^2 = ∂v/∂y##
##∂v/∂x=6xy-5= -∂u/dy##
hence satisfies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt appears correct. What was your question?

chwala said:

Homework Statement

Verify ## f(z)= z^3-5iz+√7## satisfies cauchy riemann equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why? Is there some reason that the work below isn't satisfactory?
chwala said:
## f(z)= (x^3+5y-3xy^2+√7)+ (3x^2y-y^3-5x)i##
##∂u/∂x = 3x^2-3y^2 = ∂v/∂y##
##∂v/∂x=6xy-5= -∂u/dy##
hence satisfies.

Likes chwala
chwala said:

If you think about expressing ##f=u+iv## in terms of ##z## and ##\bar{z}## instead of ##x## and ##y##, it's easy to show that the CR equations say that ##\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{\bar{z}}}=0##. So any function that depends only on ##z## will satisfy CR.

Likes FactChecker
There is a simple way to see it immediately if you know that the sums and products of functions that satisfy CR also satisfy CR. Constants and f(z)=z satisfy CR. Your equation is a combination of sums and products satisfying CR, so it also satisfies CR.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
Why? Is there some reason that the work below isn't satisfactory?
why? i have shown that both sides of the cauchy riemann pde hold. that's a summary of my working, or you want to see the full working?

FactChecker said:
There is a simple way to see it immediately if you know that the sums and products of functions that satisfy CR also satisfy CR. Constants and f(z)=z satisfy CR. Your equation is a combination of sums and products satisfying CR, so it also satisfies CR.
thats exactly what i did. i substituted for ##z=x+iy##

jambaugh said:
Your attempt appears correct. What was your question?
My method is correct, its not an attempt. I was proving or rather to show that the given ##f(z)## satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations. I am simply asking for alternative ways of solving. regards,

Well as the Cauchy Riemann conditions are directly verifiable there's not much else you can do but directly verify them. There are consequential conditions like the harmonic condition:
[tex]\Delta u = \Delta v = 0[/tex]
but while this is a necessary condition it is not sufficient. It may be satisfied for functions failing to satisfy CR.
[edit: oops for the typo... now corrected.]

Last edited:
Likes chwala
jambaugh said:
Well as the Cauchy Riemann conditions are directly verifiable there's not much else you can do but directly verify them. There are consequential conditions like the harmonic condition:
[tex]\Delt u = \Delta v = 0[/tex]
but while this is a necessary condition it is not sufficient. It may be satisfied for functions failing to satisfy CR.
...directly verifiable...thank you.

chwala said:
thats exactly what i did. i substituted for ##z=x+iy##
What you did is not the same as applying general principles. You don't have to do the messy calculations if the principles have been proven. You have to have proven the principle that sums and multiplications of functions satisfying CR will also satisfy CR. Then just state that your function is a combination of sums and multiplications of simple functions satisfying CR and apply the principle.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
why? i have shown that both sides of the cauchy riemann pde hold. that's a summary of my working, or you want to see the full working?
kindly note pde means partial differential equations...just for clarity

1. What is the Cauchy-Riemann condition?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition is a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex-valued function to be differentiable at a point in the complex plane. It states that the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary components of the function must satisfy certain relationships at that point.

2. Why is the Cauchy-Riemann condition important?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition is important because it is one of the fundamental conditions for a function to be considered analytic. This means that the function is infinitely differentiable and can be represented by a power series. Analytic functions have many useful properties and are widely used in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How does the Cauchy-Riemann condition relate to the concept of holomorphic functions?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition is closely related to the concept of holomorphic functions. A function that satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann condition at all points in a given domain is said to be holomorphic in that domain. Holomorphic functions have many important properties, such as being conformal and having a unique analytic continuation.

4. Can the Cauchy-Riemann condition be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Cauchy-Riemann condition can be extended to higher dimensions. In three dimensions, it takes the form of the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a system of four partial differential equations. In general, the Cauchy-Riemann condition can be extended to any number of dimensions, but the equations become increasingly complex.

5. What are some applications of the Cauchy-Riemann condition?

The Cauchy-Riemann condition has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in complex analysis, which has applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. The condition also plays a crucial role in the study of conformal mappings, which are important in fields such as cartography and computer graphics.