Cauchy-Riemann Equations and Complex Derivatives: A Homework Problem

In summary, when the function f(z)=x^3+i(1-y)^3 is given, it is legitimate to write f'(z)=u_x+iv_x=3x^2 only when z=i. This is because when z=i, the Cauchy-Riemann equations are satisfied and the function has a complex derivative. However, there are multiple values of x and y that satisfy this equation, showing that f'(z) only has a complex derivative if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Show that when f(z)=x^3+i(1-y)^3, it is legitimate to write:

f'(z)=u_x+iv_x=3x^2
only when z=i

Homework Equations

Cauchy riemann equations:

u_x=v_y , u_y=-v_x
f'(z)=u_x+i*v_y

The Attempt at a Solution

u=x^3
v=(1-y)^3
u_x=3*x^2
v_y=-3*(1-y)^2
x^2=-(1-y)^2 =

u_y=0
-v_x=0

f'(z)=3*x^2+i(0)= 3*x^2

I don't understand why z=i => z=o+i*1? is relevant to show that f'(z)=3*x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
f'(z) only has a complex derivative if it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. You have correctly found that means x^2=-(1-y)^2. How many values of x and y satisfy that?

Related to Cauchy-Riemann Equations and Complex Derivatives: A Homework Problem

1. What is the Cauchy Riemann Problem?

The Cauchy Riemann Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the analyticity of a complex-valued function. It is named after the mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Bernhard Riemann, who made significant contributions to the field of complex analysis.

2. What are the conditions for the Cauchy Riemann equations?

The Cauchy Riemann equations are a set of necessary conditions for a complex-valued function to be analytic. They state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of a complex number must satisfy certain relationships.

3. How is the Cauchy Riemann Problem related to the concept of holomorphic functions?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. The Cauchy Riemann equations are necessary conditions for a function to be holomorphic, so the Cauchy Riemann Problem is closely related to the concept of holomorphic functions.

4. What are some applications of the Cauchy Riemann Problem?

The Cauchy Riemann Problem has applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve problems involving complex variables.

5. Are there any existing unsolved problems related to the Cauchy Riemann Problem?

Yes, there are still many open problems and conjectures related to the Cauchy Riemann Problem. Some of these include the existence of non-holomorphic functions that satisfy the Cauchy Riemann equations, and the extension of the concept to higher dimensions.