Cauchy Riemann Equations - Proof of Sufficiency .... Conway Theorem 2.29 .... Proof ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific theorem and its proof in John B. Conway's book "Functions of a Complex Variable I." The theorem and its proof involve the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the process by which they are derived. The question posed is about the rigorous process used in the proof and the conversation ends with a confirmation of the correctness of the provided explanation.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition) ...

I am currently focussed on Chapter III Elementary Properties and Examples of Analytic Functions ... Section 2: Analytic Functions ... ...

I need help in fully understanding aspects of Theorem 2.29 ...

[NOTE: Notice that the statement of Theorem 2.29 follows the proof ... see below ... ]

Theorem 2,29 and its proof read as follows:

View attachment 7402
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7403

In the above text by Conway, we read the following:

" ... ... Using the fact that \(\displaystyle u\) and \(\displaystyle v\) satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations it is easy to see that

\(\displaystyle \frac{ f( z + s + it ) - f(z) }{ s + it } = u_x(z) + iv_x(z) + \frac{ \phi(s, t) + i \psi(x, t) }{ s + it }\) ... ... ... "

My question is as follows:

What is the (rigorous) process by which we arrive at

\(\displaystyle \frac{ f( z + s + it ) - f(z) }{ s + it } = u_x(z) + iv_x(z) + \frac{ \phi(s, t) + i \psi(x, t) }{ s + it }\) ...?

That is ... why/how exactly does this follow ...
Hope someone can help ... I am aiming to have a rigorous understanding of the above proof ...

Peter***EDIT***I have been reflecting on the issue/problem above ...

Part of the answer may well be as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ f(z + s + it) - f(z) }{ s + it } \)\(\displaystyle = \frac{ f(x + iy + s + it) - f(x + iy) }{ s + it }\) \(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u( x + s, y + t ) + iv( x + s, y + t ) ] - [ u(x, y) + iv(x, y) ] }{ s + it }\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u( x + s, y + t ) - u(x, y) ] + i [ v( x + s, y + t ) - v(x, y) ] }{ s + it }\)\(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u_x ( x, y )s + u_y (x, y)t + \phi (s, t) }{ s + it } + i \frac{ [v_x ( x, y )s + v_y (x, y)t + \psi (s, t) }{ s + it }\)\(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u_x ( x, y )s - v_x (x, y)t + \phi (s, t) }{ s + it } + i \frac{ [v_x ( x, y )s + u_x (x, y)t + \psi (s, t) }{ s + it }\) \(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u_x ( x, y )s + i u_x (x, y)t ] }{ s + it } + i \frac{ [v_x ( x, y )s + i v_x (x, y)t ] }{ s + it } + \frac{ [ \phi (s, t) + i \psi (s, t)] }{ s + it } \)\(\displaystyle = u_x(z) + iv_x(z) + \frac{ [ \phi (s, t) + i \psi (s, t)] }{ s + it }\)Is that correct?

======================================================================================It may help readers of the above post to have access to Conway's introduction to the Cauchy-Riemann conditions (necessity case) ... so I am providing the same ... as follows:
View attachment 7404
View attachment 7405

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Cauchy Riemann Equations - Proof of Sufficinecy ... Conway Theorem 2.29 ... Proof ...

Peter said:
***EDIT***I have been reflecting on the issue/problem above ...

Part of the answer may well be as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{ f(z + s + it) - f(z) }{ s + it } \)\(\displaystyle = \frac{ f(x + iy + s + it) - f(x + iy) }{ s + it }\) \(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u( x + s, y + t ) + iv( x + s, y + t ) ] - [ u(x, y) + iv(x, y) ] }{ s + it }\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u( x + s, y + t ) - u(x, y) ] + i [ v( x + s, y + t ) - v(x, y) ] }{ s + it }\)\(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u_x ( x, y )s + u_y (x, y)t + \phi (s, t) }{ s + it } + i \frac{ [v_x ( x, y )s + v_y (x, y)t + \psi (s, t) }{ s + it }\)\(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u_x ( x, y )s - v_x (x, y)t + \phi (s, t) }{ s + it } + i \frac{ [v_x ( x, y )s + u_x (x, y)t + \psi (s, t) }{ s + it }\) \(\displaystyle = \frac{ [ u_x ( x, y )s + i u_x (x, y)t ] }{ s + it } + i \frac{ [v_x ( x, y )s + i v_x (x, y)t ] }{ s + it } + \frac{ [ \phi (s, t) + i \psi (s, t)] }{ s + it } \)\(\displaystyle = u_x(z) + iv_x(z) + \frac{ [ \phi (s, t) + i \psi (s, t)] }{ s + it }\)Is that correct?

It's correct! (Yes)

Re: Cauchy Riemann Equations - Proof of Sufficinecy ... Conway Theorem 2.29 ... Proof ...

Euge said:
It's correct! (Yes)
Thanks Euge ...

I needed the confirmation!

Peter

1. What are Cauchy Riemann equations?

Cauchy Riemann equations are a set of two partial differential equations that describe the conditions for a complex function to be differentiable. They express the relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex function.

2. What is the proof of sufficiency for Cauchy Riemann equations?

The proof of sufficiency for Cauchy Riemann equations is known as Conway Theorem 2.29. This theorem states that if a complex function satisfies the Cauchy Riemann equations and is continuous at a point, then it is differentiable at that point.

3. How is Conway Theorem 2.29 proven?

Conway Theorem 2.29 is proven using the Cauchy Integral Formula and the Cauchy Riemann equations. It involves showing that the limit of a certain quotient exists, which implies that the function is differentiable.

4. What is the significance of the Cauchy Riemann equations?

The Cauchy Riemann equations are significant because they provide a necessary and sufficient condition for a complex function to be differentiable. This allows for the use of powerful tools from complex analysis, such as the Cauchy Integral Formula and Cauchy's Theorem, to solve problems in various fields of science and mathematics.

5. Are there any alternative proofs of sufficiency for Cauchy Riemann equations?

Yes, there are alternative proofs of sufficiency for Cauchy Riemann equations. One such proof is known as the Wirtinger Derivatives proof, which uses a different approach to show that a complex function satisfying the Cauchy Riemann equations is differentiable. However, Conway Theorem 2.29 is often considered the most elegant and efficient proof of sufficiency.