Cauchy sequence and subsequence

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not a sequence is Cauchy if its subsequence is Cauchy. The initial question poses an example where this is not the case, but the following conversation delves into the potential for constructing a sequence in such a way that it is Cauchy if its subsequence is Cauchy. The question is left open-ended as the author seeks further clarification or an example from a specific book or theorem.
ozkan12
Let $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ be a sequence...İf $\left\{{x}_{2n}\right\}$ is caucy sequence, can we say that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ozkan12 said:
Let $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ be a sequence...İf $\left\{{x}_{2n}\right\}$ is caucy sequence, can we say that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence ?

Hi ozkan12,

I don't think so. For example consider the alternating sequence, $\{x_n\}_{n=0}^\infty=\{(-1)^n\}_{n=0}^\infty$. Now $\{x_{2n}\}_{n=0}^\infty$ is a constant sequence which is Cauchy but $x_n$ is not.

Hi Sudharaka,

İn some fixed point theorem, to prove that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence, author show that $\left\{{x}_{2n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence...And in fixed point theorems, we use iteration sequence such that ${x}_{n}=f{x}_{n-1}$...İf we construct $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ in this way, can we say that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence by proving that $\left\{{x}_{2n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence ?

ozkan12 said:
Hi Sudharaka,

İn some fixed point theorem, to prove that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence, author show that $\left\{{x}_{2n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence...And in fixed point theorems, we use iteration sequence such that ${x}_{n}=f{x}_{n-1}$...İf we construct $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ in this way, can we say that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence by proving that $\left\{{x}_{2n}\right\}$ is cauchy sequence ?

Could you please tell me which book you are referring to so that I can have a look?

Sudharaka, I learned this information, Thank you for your attention, best wishes...:)

ozkan12 said:
Sudharaka, I learned this information, Thank you for your attention, best wishes...:)

Sure, I have marked the thread as SOLVED. :)

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any given tolerance level, there exists a point in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that tolerance level of each other.

2. How is a Cauchy sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A Cauchy sequence and a convergent sequence both have the property that the terms get closer and closer together. However, a convergent sequence has a specific limit towards which the terms converge, while a Cauchy sequence does not necessarily have a limit and may not converge at all.

3. What is a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that is formed by selecting some terms from another sequence in the same order. These selected terms do not need to be consecutive in the original sequence, but their relative order must be maintained.

4. Can a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence be non-Cauchy?

Yes, it is possible for a subsequence of a Cauchy sequence to be non-Cauchy. This can happen if the terms in the subsequence do not get arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses, even though the terms in the original sequence do.

5. How are Cauchy sequences and completeness related?

A metric space is said to be complete if every Cauchy sequence in that space converges to a limit within that space. In other words, completeness is a property that guarantees the convergence of all Cauchy sequences within a given metric space.