Cauchy Sequence in Metric Space

In summary, the proof that a Cauchy sequence {xn} in a metric space (X,d) has the property d(xn-xn+1)--->0 as n--->\infty is as simple as letting m=n+1. However, the converse is not true and an example of this is the series x_n=ln(n). Another example is the series a_n=\sum{i=1}^n \frac{1}{i} which is not Cauchy despite d(x_n,x_m)\rightarrow 0.
BSCowboy
For a metric space (X,d), prove that a Cauchy sequence {xn} has the property d(xn-xn+1)--->0 as n--->\infty

In working this proof, is it really as simple as letting m=n+1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it really is that easy! The definition of "Cauchy sequence" is that [itex]d(x_n, x_m)[/itex] goes to 0 as m and n go to infinity. Since that is true, in particular, [itex]d(x_n, x_{n+1})[/itex] must go to 0 as n goes to infinity.

Notice, however, that the converse is not true. If [itex]d(x_n, x_{n+1})[/itex] goes to 0, it does NOT follow that [itex]d(x_n,x_m)[/itex] goes to 0.

Thanks for the input.

An example of a sequence in which [tex] d(x_n,x_{n+1})\rightarrow 0 [/tex] , but [tex] d(x_n,x_m)\not\rightarrow 0 [/tex] would be let [tex]x_n=ln(n)[/tex]

Last edited:
I'll have to think about that! I was thinking of
[tex]a_n= \sum{i= 1}^n \frac{1}{i}= \frac{1}{n}+ \frac{2}{n}+ \frac{3}{n}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

Then [itex]|a_n- a_{n-1}= \frac{1}{n}[/itex] goes to 0 as n goes to infinity but the series is not Cauchy since it is well known that the harmonic series does not converge.

(After about 30 seconds of thought I see that ln(n)- ln(n+1)= ln(n/(n+1)) so, in fact, your seires is a variation of mine.

Related to Cauchy Sequence in Metric Space

1. What is a Cauchy sequence in a metric space?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of points in a metric space where the distance between any two points in the sequence becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence progresses. In other words, the points in the sequence get closer and closer to each other.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they are used to define the completeness of a metric space. A metric space is considered complete if all Cauchy sequences in that space converge to a limit point within the space. This concept is crucial in analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with limits and continuity.

3. How is a Cauchy sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A Cauchy sequence and a convergent sequence are different in that a Cauchy sequence depends on the distance between points in the sequence, while a convergent sequence depends on the value of the points in the sequence. In other words, a Cauchy sequence focuses on the behavior of the sequence as a whole, while a convergent sequence focuses on the behavior of individual points in the sequence.

4. Can a Cauchy sequence be divergent?

No, a Cauchy sequence cannot be divergent. This is because a Cauchy sequence must satisfy the Cauchy criterion, which states that for any positive real number ε, there exists a point in the sequence after which the distance between any two points is less than ε. Therefore, a Cauchy sequence must converge to a limit point in the metric space.

5. What are some real-life applications of Cauchy sequences?

Cauchy sequences are used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, Cauchy sequences are used to model the behavior of continuous systems, such as fluids or electromagnetic fields. In computer science, Cauchy sequences are used in algorithms for error correction, data compression, and signal processing.