Cauchy sequences is my proof correct?

In summary, we can show that if (xn) and (yn) are Cauchy sequences, then their sum (zn) is also a Cauchy sequence without using the Cauchy Criterion. We can do this by taking the maximum of the indices N1 and N2, where N1 and N2 are the indices for which the inequalities |xn-xm|<ε/2 and |yn-ym|<ε/2 hold, respectively. By adding these two inequalities, we get |zn-zm|<ε, showing that (zn) is also a Cauchy sequence.
SMA_01

Homework Statement

Let (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]ℕ and (yn)n[itex]\in[/itex]ℕ be Cauchy sequences of real numbers.

Show, without using the Cauchy Criterion, that if zn=xn+yn, then (zn)n[itex]\in[/itex]ℕ is a Cauchy sequence of real numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at a proof:

Let (xn) and (yn) be Cauchy sequences. Let (zn) be a sequence and let zn=xn+yn.

Since (xn) and (yn) are Cauchy, [itex]\exists[/itex]N[itex]\in[/itex]ℕ such that,
|xn-xm|<ε/2, and
|yn-ym|<ε/2 for n,m≥N.

Let n,m≥N and let zn,zm[itex]\in[/itex](zn).
Then,
|zn-zm|=|xn-xm|+|yn-ym|
<ε/2+ε/2=ε.
Therefore,
|zn-zm|<ε for all n,m≥N and hence, (zn) is a Cauchy sequence of real numbers.

Is this correct?
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first step should be an inequality and not an equality, other than that seems ok, you just need to take the maximum of N1 and N2 where these indices are the ones for which

[tex]\forall n,m \geq N_1 \ |x_n-x_m|\leq \epsilon/2[/tex]
[tex]\forall n,m \geq N_2 \ |y_n-y_m| \leq \epsilon /2[/tex]

Related to Cauchy sequences is my proof correct?

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence goes on. In other words, for any small number, there is a point in the sequence where all the remaining terms are within that small number of each other.

2. What does it mean for a sequence to be Cauchy?

A sequence is considered Cauchy if it satisfies the Cauchy criterion, which states that for any small number, there is a point in the sequence where all the remaining terms are within that small number of each other.

3. How do you prove that a sequence is Cauchy?

To prove that a sequence is Cauchy, you must show that it satisfies the Cauchy criterion. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and showing that for any small number, there is a point in the sequence where all the remaining terms are within that small number of each other.

4. What is the importance of Cauchy sequences in mathematics?

Cauchy sequences are important in mathematics because they are used in the definition of completeness of a metric space, which is a fundamental concept in many areas of math such as real analysis and topology. They also have many applications in numerical analysis and other fields.

5. How can I check if my proof of a Cauchy sequence is correct?

The best way to check if your proof of a Cauchy sequence is correct is to carefully review each step and make sure it follows the definition and properties of Cauchy sequences. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your proof and provide feedback.