Refractive index less than one

In summary, the Lorentz model for calculating the refraction index of a dielectric involves a formula with plasma and resonance frequencies. Experimental results show that the refraction index can be smaller than 1 when the frequency is greater than the resonance frequency. This may seem to contradict the idea that nothing can travel faster than light in a vacuum, but it has been shown by Sommerfeld and Brillouin that this is not the case. The front velocity of the wave in this model is still equal to the speed of light, and there is no violation of causality or relativity.
DannyJ108
Homework Statement
The Lorentz model to calculate the refraction index of a dielectric, in the simplest of terms states the following equation: (see relevant equations)
Relevant Equations
##n^2(\omega) = 1 + \frac {\omega^2_p} {\omega^2_0 - \omega^2}##
Hello fellow users,

I've been given the Lorentz model to calculate the refraction index of a dielectric, the formula in its simplest way states that:
##n^2(\omega) = 1 + \frac {\omega^2_p} {\omega^2_0 - \omega^2}##

Where ##\omega_p## is the plasma frequency and ##\omega_0## is the resonance frequency.

If ##\omega > \omega_0## the refraction index ##n## can be smaller than 1 and experimental results verify this. How does this result reconcile with the fact that "nothing can travel faster than light in a vacuum"?

I need to make a bibliographical search and give an explanation for this, but I can't find an exact answer to this question or the same formula I'm given.
I need your help please! Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is just that the phase velocity is faster than light; no energy is being propagated at that speed.

Likes SammyS and Twigg
Thank you
tech99 said:
I think it is just that the phase velocity is faster than light; no energy is being propagated at that speed.

This is a very old apparent problem. It was asked Sommerfeld by Willy Wien in 1907, and Sommerfeld wrote a very short article showing by using a complex integral and the theorem of residues that there's nothing violating Einstein causality and that there's nothing propagating faster than the speed of light that is not supposed to do so in the region of anomalous dispersion. The details have been worked out by Sommerfeld and Brillouin in two papers in the Annalen der Physik in 1914.

You find a summary in Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics vol. 4 (Optics) as well as in Jackson's Classical electrodynamics. The upshot is that in the frequency realm around the resonance group velocity doesn't make sense as an approximate signal-propagation velocity as it does in regions of "normal dispersion", because the transient signal is deformed so much that you cannot consider it a smoothly moving wave packet. In this model the front velocity of the wave is exactly ##c_{\text{vac}}##, and thus there's no signal which propagates faster than light, and everything is in accordance with relativity as you expect from Maxwell's equations, which is the paradigmatic example of a classical relativistic field theory :-).

• Informative
Likes etotheipi

1. What does a refractive index less than one mean?

A refractive index less than one means that the speed of light in a material is faster than its speed in a vacuum. This is typically seen in materials with a low density or low refractive index.

2. How is the refractive index less than one calculated?

The refractive index less than one is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material. This value is always less than one, as the speed of light in a vacuum is the fastest possible speed.

3. What types of materials have a refractive index less than one?

Materials with a low density, such as gases, have a refractive index less than one. This is because the particles in these materials are more spread out, allowing light to travel faster through them.

4. What are the implications of a refractive index less than one?

A refractive index less than one can lead to interesting optical effects, such as negative refraction and invisible objects. It also has practical applications in lenses and optical fibers.

5. Can a material have a negative refractive index?

Yes, certain materials, such as metamaterials, can have a negative refractive index. This means that light will bend in the opposite direction as it would in a normal material. This has potential applications in creating super lenses and cloaking devices.