CE + Phys or CE + Math: Interested in Quantum Computing & AI

In summary, a student in university is considering a double major in either Computer Engineering and Physics or Computer Engineering and Mathematics. The aim is to gain knowledge and experience in both quantum computing and advanced AI. It is believed that a math degree would complement the CE degree and provide a good foundation for understanding physics related to quantum computing. However, AI is typically a combination of CE and advanced statistics. Ultimately, the choice between CE + Phys or CE + Math will depend on the electives taken, and pursuing further education in grad school may be necessary for advanced work.
Jpmcke
Hey all, I'm a student in university who wants to Double Major in Computer Engineering and Physics or Computer Engineering and Mathematics. Ideally I want to get some time in working on quantum computers and some time in working on advanced AI, so one of the big things I want to do is pick the community's brain on whether CE + Phys or CE + Math major is best for these ambitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've seen, AI is normally a blend of CE and advanced statistics (i.e. mathematics). I think that math would be the best 2nd degree, since it would be able to complement CE well and is a good springboard into the advanced physics needed to understand quantum computing.

AI will be closer to CS than CE. That being said its really about what electives you take. Usually you can take electives in other departments.
If you want to do advanced stuff you'll most likely have to go to grad school.

1. What is CE + Phys or CE + Math?

CE + Phys stands for Computer Engineering + Physics, while CE + Math stands for Computer Engineering + Mathematics. These are academic programs that combine computer engineering with either physics or mathematics, providing students with a strong foundation in both fields.

2. How is CE + Phys or CE + Math related to quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a rapidly growing field that combines principles from physics and mathematics to develop powerful computing systems. As such, a background in both computer engineering and physics or mathematics can be highly beneficial for those interested in quantum computing.

3. What is the difference between CE + Phys and CE + Math?

The main difference between CE + Phys and CE + Math is the focus on either physics or mathematics. CE + Phys programs will have a heavier emphasis on physics courses, while CE + Math programs will focus more on mathematics courses. However, both programs will provide students with a solid understanding of computer engineering principles.

4. Can I specialize in quantum computing or AI within a CE + Phys or CE + Math program?

Yes, many CE + Phys and CE + Math programs offer specializations or concentrations in quantum computing or AI. These programs will typically include specific courses and research opportunities related to these fields.

5. What career opportunities are available with a CE + Phys or CE + Math degree in quantum computing and AI?

Graduates with a CE + Phys or CE + Math degree specializing in quantum computing and AI can pursue careers in various industries, including technology, research, and academia. Some potential job titles include quantum computing engineer, AI researcher, data scientist, and computer systems analyst.